Hooking up to the mains

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
We have just returned from an extended holiday in Scotland. It rained quite a bit. Downpours some days. But what amazed me was the number of times I saw new arrivals who would plug their mains cable into the mains box and then into their caravan.

One chap at Newtonmore who was in a motorhome decided in an absolute torrent of rain to reverse his motorhome a bit (wife must have said that they werent level). This resulted in the mains cable being dragged out of the socket in his MH. He came out and picked the cable up of the soaking grass and tried to reconnect. But it was broken. The socket must have been quite hot because he bounced it from one hand to another before dropping it. He then went and got his spare cables. Each one on its own was too short to strech from the box (not forgetting that he was still plugged in to the mains). He proceeded to the mains box and unplugged the broken one; connected one of the new cables (still raining like mad); plugged the second cable to the connected cable and then into his motor home. I was quite suprised he didnt go up in a blue light.

Am I missing something, surely its dangerous to plug into the mains first and then the van. (More so in the rain). We always plug into the van first and when leaving disconnect from the mains first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been on site and seen similiar things. I am surprised caravans do not carry a 'reminder' or 'warning'. Our socket is inside a side door and there is plenty of room for a warning sticker...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All modern vans and motorhomes mains electrics have an earth leakage trip in the intake mains box. it also applies that the hookup point has the same protections.

However it is mighty dangerous to muck about with electrics during rain and it has been known for fatalities to occur. IMHO

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
All modern vans and motorhomes mains electrics have an earth leakage trip in the intake mains box. it also applies that the hookup point has the same protections.

However it is mighty dangerous to muck about with electrics during rain and it has been known for fatalities to occur. IMHO
we were staying at poston mill a few years ago ,and we went out for the day ,and on our return we noticed the electric was off and the food was thawing out in freezer ,so i went out to look at the box and noticed the plug was was slightly bent away from the box ,then our neighbour appeared and told us a football had come flying across and hit the plug causing it to trip ,now think of the consequence if it had been the plug in the caravan and the plug laying on the ground with bare wires ,and then sending my kids outside to play

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts