'Hot' Terrano

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anyone having problems with an overheating Terrano? It only happens to me when towing up medium to steep inclines, and the temperature can be brought down by having the heater on 'full blast' to dicipate some of the heat, but on a run like Fishguard to Liverpool, it was a right pain in the b*m last week! It's in for a service next week before our next trip to Wensleydale.........more hills! It's a 5 year old 2.7 turbo diesel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

I have a 10 year old Terrano II 2.7TD. The temp very rarely goes above the mid point of the gauge, and that's usually only when towing up a long steep hill on a hot day. It then soon recovers once it starts to level out. It never reaches the red though.

I did however remove the standard viscous fan soon after we bought it, and fitted twin Kenlowe electric fans. This makes it quieter and slightly more economical. The only time that we had a real overheating problem was when the heat exchanger in the car started leaking, but you should notice that you are loosing water.

Other generic possibilities are the thermostat may not be opening soon enough, the pump may be faulty, or you may have a blockage somewhere that will need flushing out. Hopefully the servicing will pick up on any of these.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Like Mick when i had a discovery the first thing i did was replace the viscous fan with a kenlow fan, it made the car half as noisy and improved fuel efficiency by about 3 mpg. certainly worthwhile if you are going to keep the car for a while. I think mick has pointed the most obvious causes of overheating apart from a blocked radiater maybee, have you tried cleaningit ?. cant really see it being the pump as the water is reaching your heateer matrix ok, 80% chance of it being the stat and 20% on a blockage. stats are only about a tenner so i would try that first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mick,

Thanks for the info. The Nissan dealer has just completed the service and found cooling system in order, but asked if it overheats again could I drop in. Problem is, it's usally when I'm half way up a hill in Wales and the dealer is in Widnes! I think I'll change the thermostat as a matter of course, and find out about Kenlow fans. Where did you get your fan from? Did a quick search on Google and couldn't really come up with any stockists.

Cheers, Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

I fitted mine soon after purchasing the car in '95. I think that I got the info from an ad. in the Caravan Club mag at the time. I suggest that you try the following webpage. This is the contact info for Kenlowe. They will probably be able to advise on a dealer, or supply directly to you if you are going to fit them yourself. It was a bit fiddly, but I managed it within a day.

http://www.kenlowe.com/contact/index.html
To enquire or order please mail, phone, fax or email your contact details with details of the product or products you are interested in along with full information of the vehicle and its application.

Kenlowe Ltd.

Burchetts Green

Maidenhead

SL6 6QU

Berkshire

England

Phone +44 (0)1628 823303

Fax +44 (0)1628 823451

Email sales@kenlowe.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts