Hotel stop on way to Cornwall

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice for our drive from Yorkshire to Cornwall in August. We are traveling with two little children so usually load up our van with everything. This means stopping at a site and setting up for one night is a nightmare. We'd rather stop at a hotel but it obviously needs to be somewhere with a Carpark that can accommodate our caravan and that is also secure. We are thinking somewhere around Cheltenham off the m5. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We are driving down from Newcastle to st Ives factory shut down week on the Friday when most break up , but stopping half way at poolsbrook cc site at Sheffield then away early on the sat morning , not sure how safe your van will be at a hotel or travel lodge ,

Enjoy ,

Craig .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We'd rather stop at a hotel

I agree that services arent the safest places, but not many hotels will have a carpark suitable for a car caravan combo. Apart from that, in summer the hotel carparks are likely to be full making manouvering the combo difficult. But yes, a very valid point about motorway security.

For the OP, I dont see it as difficult unless you need an awning and annex to sleep in. Brake on, legs down, and into the sleeping bags.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Exactly , brakes on feet down , electric on . No water supply , bottled water and kettle filled from site tap for a quick getaway the next morning .

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi, I dont usually respond to travel questions, as I always did my own thing which I found did not suit the majority, however in this instance I know exactly where the OP is coming from, done exactly the same thing on a few occasions, yorkshire to cornwall is a 12hr stint, set off to set up, the last thing one needs is hauling everything out, and setting up just for one night, maybe for only 6hrs or so, on a site that is close enough to the motorway, as not to mean a detour when all you want is to get where your going, to this end I have stopped at both Bridgewater, and Taunton Deane, both have motels and biggish carparks, park up, book in, something to eat, head down for a while and then up, shower, breakfast and back on the M5, as with all services the parking is expensive if you stay longer than 3hrs, but if you are staying in the motel it is free, take that off the cost of the room, and it's not too bad, considering you would be paying for a night on a site anyway.

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks all for your replys. Our caravan is always loaded with stuff (4 of us in a small 4 berth mean A LOT of stuff for a week), so it's not the stopping but the taking everything out - which if you then do, you have to set up the awning to store it all over night and it's just too much time and effort for a functional stop. Colin Yorkshire - thank you for those recommendations, that's exactly what I'm looking for so will have a look at places you have suggested.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Ange18 said:
Thanks all for your replys. Our caravan is always loaded with stuff (4 of us in a small 4 berth mean A LOT of stuff for a week), so it's not the stopping but the taking everything out - which if you then do, you have to set up the awning to store it all over night and it's just too much time and effort for a functional stop. Colin Yorkshire - thank you for those recommendations, that's exactly what I'm looking for so will have a look at places you have suggested.

With so much stuff in your caravan have you ever weighed it to make sure you are within its max limit. We weighed ours with just the 'necessities' in (no awning) and were over weight. :(

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
From my experiences if you can't get in your caravan you are 'grossly' overloaded. I used to take 2 kids to Cornwall from Lincolnshire, all we had to do was take their bikes out for a kip, and I knew we were still over the top!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts