houghton mill CC site, Cambridgeshire

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes, we've been and we still like it there although its now run by the Ayotollah. Walking distance to little village square, two pubs (Three Jolly Butchers is far superior), bacon butties in the square at weekends, little village shop, beautiful church etc. Not far from St. Ives. Nice walks along river, Mill is quaint and attracts canoeists, thatched cottages in vicinity etc. Showers and toilets very nice. The site is quite open to the public though as the mill is Natural Trust but we have never heard of anyone having any problems. Can be a bit noisy if pitched alongside the tenters who tend to be groups who sit outside till the small hours.

It was one of the first places we ever went and we've been quite a few times. Location is great for what we want and even though the warden has been rude on occasions we put up with her. However, I did see a van pull on and off again on our last visit due to the way the warden spoke to the couple who were intending to complain about their treatment. It seems to be an ongoing problem but she is still there......

Don't know where Bassingbourn barracks is so don't know whether it is near it or not.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
We've also been and I'd agree with everything that Valerie said. The short walk into the village is lovely, it's a really nice area.

Just one point I'd mention. One evening we were walking through the park that's adjacent to the mill and the site, and came across 3 men on a park bench who were, shall we say, getting better acquainted (very red-faced embarrassed icon thingy). Needless to say, we beat a hasty retreat!

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the replies, our son is joining the army a week on Sunday and is doing his basic training at Bassingbourn, so we just need a site where we can sleep for a couple of nights for family visit/passing out parade. cheers.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
thanks for the replies, our son is joining the army a week on Sunday and is doing his basic training at Bassingbourn, so we just need a site where we can sleep for a couple of nights for family visit/passing out parade. cheers.

Oct 19, 2007
Visit site
Thought I'd bring this thread up to speed for anyone thinking of going to Houghton Mill.
We have used this site a few times over the years and concurred with all the above comments. However, this site appears to have really gone down the pan. The Ayotollah has gone but it would be a blessing for her to return IMHO!! The current wardens are rudeness personified, I have never paid to be spoken to in such a fashion. Pitching is haphazard with campers moving pegs as they want, resulting in car + caravan+awning+annexe+gazebo+pup tent all on one pitch!!!! Ball games are played and ignored by the wardens, this is the first time I have been on a CC site and the toilets have been stinking due to unemptied sanitary bins, the warden cuts the grass and dumps it in the dog walk which results in a rotting smell wafting into vans parked nearby. I did review on the CC website but it appears to have been removed.

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Wonderful stuff grass, a pleasant place to site your caravan, but then the warden comes along and cuts it. A strange thing then happens, the cut grass is no longer grass, it is commercial waste, so by dumping the cut grass in the dog walk, the warden is breaking the law. I bet the idiots, sorry management of the CC have never thought of that.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fubar,
Just a word of advice as we have been visiting this popular site for several yaers.....
Point one, It does tend to get very busy during the season especially weekends. So you will need to get your bookings done quite smartly or be disappointed.
Point two, Didn't make it this year owing to the weather but previously the warden of the day would not accept any arrivals before 1.00pm and I think this may have triggered some of the adverse comments made here.
Incidentally there are other cc sites not far away that might also suit you at Grafham also Stroud Hill Park (Adults only).

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
A nice site.Haven't been there for sometime due to cost.In September I looked at it- £20 ish a night. Went to CCC site at Cambridge- £13 ish. We are 2 seniors. Similar facilities and the manager at Cambridge was very welcoming.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts