House Deeds & Storage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Any budding solicitors out there? Where do you stand with keeping a caravan at home if mentioned in the house deeds? Our house is 22 years old and the independent builder went bust in the 90's. Who can invoke the deeds and prevent us from keeping the caravan at home? Any advice appreciated as the neighbours have made a few comments. - Stu.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My experience with what is written on House deeds is that any clauses regarding the use of your property are fixed in stone. What ever is in your House deeds is there for ever and if your neighbours choose to invoke the clause there is nothing you can do. I can only suggest you stick it out and hope the neighbours dont have the heart for a legal battle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I presume you are talking about a covernant, which restricts what you can do with the property, usually you'd get insurance, it's quite cheap so that if you say build a wall bigger then the covernant it would cover the cost of restoring it to the original if there was a complaint. However, I'd say your safe with a caravan as the worst they could do was tell you to move it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Irrespective of whether the builder has gone bust or not, the contents of the deeds remain in force. As far as invoking them is concerned anyone who objects to you keeping your caravan on the front of your house can, including your neighbours. Whilst the current group may not be bothered, someone new could move in and object and you really would have no choice but to remove it.

I would certainly afford my neighbours the courtesy of at least discussing what you want to do with them first before just steaming in and doing it. That's a surefire way of putting their backs up no matter how well you may think you know them.

Also think on - are you REALLY sure you want to do this? A caravan that is kept permanently at the front of a house is a dead giveaway to the criminal fraternity so that when it isn't there, it suggests that the house is unoccupied.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If there is a restrictive covenant on the property stopping you from keeping a caravan or trailer on the land, then it is dealt with as a planning breach by the local authority. All of the properties in my road have such a restriction. One neighbour keeps a caravan in his back garden (never moves it) and applied for planning permission. It was granted, as the caravan is not in anyone's way and it does not block light or look an eyesore.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stu - I'm no Solicitor but used to work in property. If the builder's gone bust, then the covenant on your property restricting van storage has probably gone with the builder. Check with the local planning office of your local council as they could be a bye-law there. Otherwise why not lend your van to your neighbours for a weekend & try to convert them?! Check with a solicitor to be on the safe side.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we have a (brand new) caravan but would never store it at home even though our driveway is big enough. Besides upsetting the neighbours it does make the street look scruffy (I don't care how much they cost)and thieves also know when you go away.What's wrong with keeping it in secure storage.

Regards

Dave.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for your replies. The caravan is kept in covered secure storage but comes home prior to every trip for loading and then washing before going back again. I just wanted to know how I stood in the event of a dispute. The van is only on the drive for about 30-40 days of the year but neighbours are not what they used to be. As they say, you can choose your friends but not your neighbours. Thanks again - Stu.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we had an insurance claim we were told any covenant is only enforceable on the original owner and not subsequently. The insurance firm only paid out for what they said was normal liability not what the deeds said as a result. The other insurance firm/s didn't argue it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi My parents went thru the same thing. Our deeds did state that no caravans or commercial vehicles or trailers were allowed on the property or within the estate. They have moved their caravan now but not because of the neighbours comments but one of their neighbours still have theirs on their ground...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts