How are your feathered friends faring in this weather?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
In between the blizzards yesterday we had 10 Fieldfares feeding on bags of cheap apples we got for the birds from the supermarket, after seeing the weather forecast. A Blackcap enjoyed them too.

The bird feeders (alas not including the super dooper one PC is giving away to new subscribers, but NOT to those renewing) have been busy with birds feeding from dawn to dusk and the bird table has seen plenty of hungry birds too.

Amazingly, we have still not seen Waxwings, even though it's been classed as an 'invasion year' for them. When we lived in the far north of Scotland we once saw them feeding on apples, so we live in hope that they may yet visit the apples we've put out, here in East Anglia!

The seed has attracted a small flock of Reed Buntings and we are keeping out eyes open for Bramblings, which someone has seen elsewhere in the village.

Apparently, the RSPB and others are saying that the mesh covering on fat-balls should be removed, as it has been found it can tangle around birds feet and beaks. We now take ours out of the mesh and put them in a fat-ball feeder. We also break them up and scatter bits of them around for the ground feeding birds,as they are a high energy food.

The snow of yesterday has now moved northwards and we have brilliant sunshine today, although bitterly cold. How is it where you are?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are getting quite a few birds on the feeders. I also made some of the 'lardy mix' and the starlings love it. I have to secure all the bird food as one of the dogs will eat it - even my famous lardy mix. GROSS!

Lisa
starling.jpg

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Great pictures, Lisa.

Had a hard frost last night. First thing this morning there were 20 Fieldfares feeding on the apples. Must have told their mates!

I've just been out to buy another 4 bags of them, as the forecasters are talking about more snow coming.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I've put all sorts out for the birds this winter - nuts, sunflower seeds, nyjer seeds (though not a goldfinch in site!), fat balls, suet cakes, mealworms....

We get a regular family of Long Tailed Tits coming down but they're soon chased off when the Starlings move in.

We've got lots of Fieldfares and Redwings around (Waxwings too, apparently) but none in my garden!

Be nice to see some more pics pasted on here - I thought those two were ace!

Mac

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm really pleased with the amount of birds visiting our garden. I've bought some more feeders. We've only had blue tits, long tailed tits, starlings, black birds one sparrow hawk. The birds have been very busy today eating like mad.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts