How can i tell if my fridge is working?

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Although I've had my van for 3 years now I still regard myself as a newbie. When I have my caravan hooked up to the mains its obvious that by fridge is working because the freezer gets cold, quick. When I unhook and drive to my next destination how can I tell if the fridge is working when set to 12v (battery setting on fridge).

I have a 13pin socket on the car and the black and greyt cables are connected by the adapter cable.

Is there an easy way to be sure?

Regards

Ian

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
On 12v the fridge isn't likely to get any colder, and if you're lucky and your journey isn't too long, it will maintain the temperature it was when you set off but that's probably all! Our (older) fridge has a light to indicate that it's working on 12v and we always check before setting off on a journey. Sometimes the grey cable isn't just 'adjusted' correctly, and the light indicates that it needs wiggling about to make sure all the connections are sound.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I do think the omission of a light in the fridge is very poor. Also, an indicator of whether the fridge is actually working would have been nice.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. Can you use your hook up at home to get the fridge cold before you start off. The 12v from the car should then keep it cold for a journey. This may be the only way you can check in the absence of a light. Ours does have an indicator panel to show what power source it is using but I guess yours doesn't. The car 12v is not likely to make a fridge at room temperature go cold over a journey.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian
The best advice has already been given regarding running on mains before departure.
12 v has never been that good for me but I know it is working. I had to double up on the earth wires on the 12S plug and socket because of burn out.
I note you are using an adaptor onto the 13 pin socket. Are you sure you have a good earth between the car and adaptor.
Have a look at this http://www.towitall.co.uk/faq/1.aspx

IMO ice cubes on 12 v are a no no
smiley-smile.gif

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
DD, not a techie person at all. I wouldn't know an earth if I fell over it.
The car and van are only 3 yrs old and electrics fitted by VW so I would hope I'm ok.

I was simply asking how I could tell if it was working or not. I've no reason to think it isn't. As you say, running on 12v will not GET the frisge cold but it may help to keep it cold if 240v used to get it up to speed. Its only for taking some stuff to France this week anyway. Will pick up the van today and put on mains till Thursday morning.

Cheers

Ian

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ian
The more stuff you can put in the fridge and freezer the better. An empty fridge doesn't work very well at all.
Don't forget it will be turned off whilst on the boat or train.
Enjoy your hols.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Ian - we usually freeze some litre cartons of orange juice, and fit them in the fridge if we're taking meats/bacon/etc - and they help to keep the temperature down. Cool everything down in your fridge at home, and then pack it quickly into the caravan fridge, too, then keep the door shut as much as possible.
We take some extra frozen things in a double-insulated coolbag, inside another coolbag, and we've found that packing it really tight with oblong tupperware containers, packed full, and filling up any gaps with folded teatowels will keep things frozen for up to three days - just right for arrival on site and repacking into the fridge to use up!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
we have always hooked up the van when at the house a week before and getting things ready, we just turned fridge up to max.

Just pack food before setting off. Never used any extra stuff or wrapping. invariably we stop over en route and just plug again food and milk is fine..

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Although not a guarantee that the fridge is working a simple check is to verify the current at the fridge fuse. Maplin do a small ammeter that takes the place of the blade fuse. Replace the fuse with the ammeter, switch fridge to 12v/car and start the engine. It’s surprising how many amps the fridge pulls.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
chrisbee 1 said:
Although not a guarantee that the fridge is working a simple check is to verify the current at the fridge fuse. Maplin do a small ammeter that takes the place of the blade fuse. Replace the fuse with the ammeter, switch fridge to 12v/car and start the engine. It’s surprising how many amps the fridge pulls.
Hi Chris
Spot on.
That's exactly why the earth pins "burn out".

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
If Its a VW electrical harness kit fitted by a VW garage then there is a good chance that the harness does not allow for 12v supply to the fridge or battery charging from the car, as most continental caravans do not require thes facilities

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts