How do I get my 12vlt lights/fridge to work when not connecte...

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Step one

Do you have a leisure battery and is it fully charged?
Thankyou Reg for your Quick reply

Yes our leisure battery is new and is fully charged.Someone said it could be the fuse? so we did change it , we found out the 20amp fuse had blown it wasn't working. But still no luck.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Helen,

First your fridge will not work on 12 volts unlees connected to your car and car engine is running. This is to avoid flatening your caravan battery.

Somewhere in your caravan there will most likely be a rocker switch with positions for car, caravan and sometimes a cente position. Try to find this switch and try the different positions.

Also some caravans have a 12 volt master isolating switch, so that you can switch off all 12 volt systems on leaving the caravan. This is usually on the control panel but not always.

hope this helps .

Hamer

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Helen

Just to follow up what Hamer has said, it might be unwise to try and run the fridge when not connected as the current taken by the fridge would probably flatten the battery in a matter of hours.

To work out how long it would last lets assume you have an 80AmpH battery. Divide it by the current rating of the fridge. I am sure someone on the forum will know what that is. In theory that is how long it will last but I would halve that figure.

Regards

Reg

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Hamer,

I started my car today attached the grey cable for 12vlts and then tried the switches at diff positions.on car/van the battery showed fully charged and the red light(battery) on fridge did work, but the green didn't.I don't know if we have a 12vlt isolation switch .I will look about for that.So many thanks for your help.Can I pick your brains again?

When I'm towing van do I put the switch onto car or van position to have my fridge working.(ready when I get to site.)Thanks again.Some day I will understand it all Ha ha

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Reg,

Thanks again for replying.So am I better not to switch on fridge when towing to site??? As you say this will drain the leisure battery.Am I right in what your saying??

Regards Helen

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Helen

No its the other way around the battery will charge when connected to mains or the car. When not connected the fridge will be using the battery only and it probably won't last for more than a few hours.

Reg

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Reg, I understand now.It's all getting a bit confusing. I'm not sure when towing which switch to put on inside van it has Car switch,Van switch and a position in middle.So when towing should the switch be on car then?? Totally confused now. Regards Helen( the learner)

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
This is all getting very confusing.Hopefully the following will cl;arify the situation

1 - the fridge will only work on 12 volts from the car battery when the car engine is running. As shown by the red light on the fridge.

2 - the caravan battery will not run the fridge at all - the fridge is not connected to the caravan battery nor is it connected to the onboard caravan charger.

3 - the fridge will run from 240 volts when the van is connected to the EHU (as shown by the green light) - this is a 240 connection to the fridge, not a 12volt connection from the caravan battery or charger.

4 - the 240volt EHU supply should charge the caravan battery using the onboard charger.

5 - the caravan battery should be charged from the car only when the engine is running.

6 - with no EHU or car connected the fridge will only work from gas.

7 - 240 volt services in the caravan (240v sockets and lights, electric space heater, microwave and hot water boiler) will only work if the van is connected to an EHU or 240volt generator.

8 - 12volt services and lights (usually including the heater fan and hot water boiler controls) will work from the caravan battery or from the onbard chager when the caravan is connected to the EHU.

8 - the space heater will work from gas and the fan should run from the 12volt services, the hot water boiler will work from gas so long as you've got a 12 volt supply (either from the on board charger or from the 12volt caravan battery)

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
This is all getting very confusing.Hopefully the following will cl;arify the situation

1 - the fridge will only work on 12 volts from the car battery when the car engine is running. As shown by the red light on the fridge.

2 - the caravan battery will not run the fridge at all - the fridge is not connected to the caravan battery nor is it connected to the onboard caravan charger.

3 - the fridge will run from 240 volts when the van is connected to the EHU (as shown by the green light) - this is a 240 connection to the fridge, not a 12volt connection from the caravan battery or charger.

4 - the 240volt EHU supply should charge the caravan battery using the onboard charger.

5 - the caravan battery should be charged from the car only when the engine is running.

6 - with no EHU or car connected the fridge will only work from gas.

7 - 240 volt services in the caravan (240v sockets and lights, electric space heater, microwave and hot water boiler) will only work if the van is connected to an EHU or 240volt generator.

8 - 12volt services and lights (usually including the heater fan and hot water boiler controls) will work from the caravan battery or from the onbard chager when the caravan is connected to the EHU.

8 - the space heater will work from gas and the fan should run from the 12volt services, the hot water boiler will work from gas so long as you've got a 12 volt supply (either from the on board charger or from the 12volt caravan battery)
HI Dave ,

Thanks for all your details .Great I will print it and keep for ref.

Concerning point 8: We can't get our 12vlt lights working from caravan battery??? I can get them when connected to E.H.U What am I doing wrong.? I have changed 20 anp fuse which wasn't working is there anything else I should check.

Regards Helen

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
An excellent explanation by Dave.

You asked about the car/van switch.........

I would say to put it in VAN position and leave it there while using the van.

The car position is for emergency use only. If the van battery is flat you can power your 12v lights, pump etc by plugging the 12S into the car (with engine off)

The centre position is to isolate the 12v system, but this is not required while towing as the habitation relay in your van should take care of that automatically.

If you have the fridge with the red and green rocker switches/lights, put both red and green on, that way the fridge will use whatever power is available without you having to remember anything. Then you only have to put it onto gas manually if there is no 240v.

You also need to ensure that the 12S wiring on your car is compatible with your van, there was a slight change in 1998.

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
An excellent explanation by Dave.

You asked about the car/van switch.........

I would say to put it in VAN position and leave it there while using the van.

The car position is for emergency use only. If the van battery is flat you can power your 12v lights, pump etc by plugging the 12S into the car (with engine off)

The centre position is to isolate the 12v system, but this is not required while towing as the habitation relay in your van should take care of that automatically.

If you have the fridge with the red and green rocker switches/lights, put both red and green on, that way the fridge will use whatever power is available without you having to remember anything. Then you only have to put it onto gas manually if there is no 240v.

You also need to ensure that the 12S wiring on your car is compatible with your van, there was a slight change in 1998.
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply.

You explained it very clearly .Now I understand the Car/Van switch.

One day I'll learn it all. But it hasn't put me off trying.So thanks again.

Regards Helen.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Helen,

Hope you get this all sorted, are you away this weekend?

We're in the same boat, finding it all a bit confusing. We're away tomorrow for first time. Went to the van last night and no 12v stuff seems to work. I've changed the fuses but couldn't get the water pump or lights to work. They worked the night before so I'm wondering if I've left something on by accident and drained the battery. Fridge worked on 12V when hooked up to the car, but this has now been explained earlier (thanks Dave).

This is our 2nd attempt at going away so I'm determined to get out in it tomorrow, even if I have to pull it myself to York.

Here's hoping that everything works when it's plugged in to the EHU. Fingers crossed. Let us know how you get on!

Gary & Amanda

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gary/Amanda,

I hope you get everything working.I guess when your on E.H.U everything should work.Hope so!!

Yes we are away for the weekend not too far from us a little site near edinburgh has good report called linn water.We're getting van ready for our next holiday to York.We heading to naburn loch caravan park nr york in August. This will be our 2nd holiday .We have went weekends away just to get the hang of things and just when you think you've got it all ok next time you go you forget it all.So you are in the same boat as me .But I find the form great.Help from other caravanners.It's Great.

So enjoy yourself .Hope all goes well.Hope to hear how you get on.

Helen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts