How do YOU dry towels?

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I think we have most functions in the caravan reasonably organized but the one thing that is slightly problematic is how to dry towels. We have an outdoor rack which is great on dry days but how does anybody else dry theirs when it is wet or in the winter? How I'd love a caravan size electric towel rail!!

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
We hang them on a plastic coat rack (the type that fits on an awning pole)which we attached to the mini heki handle in the bathroom the turn the fire up and switch on the blower and close all vents apart from the bathroom.It gets very warm and the van doesnt get hot due to the fan taking the heat off the fire.

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Same here, we use drying rack and then anything that is damp including towels gets hung in the bathroom area with the blown air heater on low vent open but closed to the rest of the van.

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
We have a piece of nice smooth wood, like a broomhandle, just long enough to rest on the lip of the open roof cupboards each side of the van. Drape the towels over this when you go out and they are dry in no time.

Ron

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
When we go out we thread one corner of a towel through the handle of a front overhead locker; other end through the handle of a side overhead locker securing both ends with large clothes pegs. Leave heating on low depending on wetness of towel and/or temperature.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Microfibre towels might be the answer!

These can be obtained from Lakeland (www.lakeland.co.uk) who have a special offer on at the moment on both ordinary/bath size. Not heavy like normal towelling. Worth a look.

Ann

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
Microfibre towels might be the answer!

These can be obtained from Lakeland (www.lakeland.co.uk) who have a special offer on at the moment on both ordinary/bath size. Not heavy like normal towelling. Worth a look.

Ann
Yes Microfibre towels might be the answer! We use them fantastic they dry out very quicklya must.

And before any one asks we dont sell them !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Those of us who dry towels or any wet item inside the caravan should bear in mind....Where does the water go to? And does it result in damp?

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
A damp towel would cause no more dampness than, say, boiling a kettle and cooking. The normal to-ing and fro-ing, opening the door, keeping a window/rooflight open whilst in the 'van deals with that. Surely we are takling about damp towels here not soaking wet?

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
HI all

I must agree with big al as last time we went away in the van we went out for the day and hung the towel over the heki bar, on return at about 5:00 the heki was completely condensed and so were the mirrors. During and after a shower I always leave the window on vent and the bathroom rooflight open however when drying a towel with the heater on this is going to cause a lot of condensation.

We dry our laundry by simply using a clip over rack on the window with a small halogen heater below them, this gives off enough heat to dry even the thickest of towels. If we dont use the awning then we simply pay to use the on site dryer.

Ian (swift)

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
We have fixed bunks so we drape towels over the top rail and let them dangle down. Also we open the wardrobe & toilet doors and drape towels over the top of them. We've got a cheap freestanding laundry airer to stand in the awning too but this isn't very effective on damp days. We've also draped them over the rear head rests in the car and taken them out for the day with us. With 3 kids who like to swim, you can have a lot of towels to get dry!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have an extendable shower rail (the sort used in the bathroom at home) and extend it across the caravan bathroom twist it to lock it in place, and then hang the towels over it. They dry while we are out in the day or overnight if we shower in the evening. It fits above head hieght so we just leave it up all the time we are away, taking it down before we travel incase it falls while we are travelling.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi All, in our trailertent days, with 3 boys, we used to put all the damp things spread out in the car overnight - they were bone dry by the morning!!

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
To stop your towel getting too wet on difficult drying days:-

after your shower....wipe yourself down with a face cloth first.The difference is amazing.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Maureen has it, we wipe down with a flannel after our shower and just keep wringing it out. You will hardly notice the damp on the towel after that. You can leave the wet flannel outside.JTS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we use a drying rack straddling a small oil-filled radiator, set on low, out in the awning.Also use the same kit to warm our sleeping bags in the winter!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
To stop your towel getting too wet on difficult drying days:-

after your shower....wipe yourself down with a face cloth first.The difference is amazing.
Hi Maureen

I seem to recall something like this being used by the 'services'. Good idea. If you also use a microfibre towel you will be well and truly dried with little fuss. I am now about to dash off an order.

Can't wait for our first outing now the nights are getting lighter (albeit by only a few minutes).

Ann

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Like M Green we have an extendable shower rail and extend it across the caravan bathroom twist it to lock it in place, and then hang the towels over it. We also take it down before we travel

Kevin

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I know it is unsightly but we hang ours over the wardrobe doors above the electric fire which we usually leave on 500 over-night (unless weather is hot which was not very often last year!). They are perfectly dry in the morning.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi everyone

We dry towels with a 240v towel rack when we're on mains. Bought it from Lidl, can't remember the price but quite cheap uses 100w and is about 3ft x 18ins wide and is really light. Best in the awning and does a brilliant job of warming the awning as well. Found out about it in a caravan mag. years ago.

Best regards

Tomo

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We put damp towels on a coat hanger and suspend from the awning poles (ceiling) and place a 2kw fan heater in close proximity.

However, don't put too many damp towels on the awning poles as the weight might damage them.

I feel it's much better to have damp fabrics drying in the awning rather than the caravan. If you don't want to put them on the awning poles, buy a clothes horse and place them on that and aim the fan heater in the direction.

Be aware of fire safety at all times and don't leave them drying whilst you go out.

Regards

Lisa

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
We use a small clothes airer which look a bit like an upside down umbrella (it has about 16 clothes pegs around the rim to hold things in place) and it clips onto either an awning rail or the rooflight handle in the washroom. It's also great for small things like socks. I think it cost about

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your replies. Some good ideas and we are going to have such a good summer this year we will be able to dry them outside with no problems - I HOPE!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts