How do you fit new Alko or BPW wheel locks?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The reason i ask is i cant stop the wheels jamming against the locks when i lower the van?
I have a twin axle and use the BPW locks, i chock the wheel and jack the van up. I release the handbrake and allign the wheels to fit the locks.
I then apply the handbrake and lower the van, but no matter what i try (no handbrake) the wheels creap slighty causing the wheels to jam against the locks meaning i have to jack the van back up to remove them.
I also worry about the pressure being applied the alloy wheel?
Does anyone else have this problem, i tried asking at the show but BPW/Winterhoff didnt have a stand.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I think you will find most people have the same problem. I
have overcome it by observing how much movement on the suspension when jacking
up – then rotate the wheel by that amount backwards to offset the receiver, then
when you lower the van the receiver should be aligned in the centre of the
wheel space, to be able to put the lock in. (When you are “learning it” you may
need to do it a couple of times, but after that you soon learn how much
movement there is on the wheel to get the receiver central)

Works for me anyway. - You will jam up if you put the lock on in the
raised wheel position because of (as you have found out) the radiused movement
of the suspension arm.

Ps. I’m on single axle, but suspect technique can be used on
twins.

May 15, 2007
Visit site

they are very good on single axle vans , but a nightmare on twins. The problem is the Caravan Club insurance is void if you dont use both clamps, and i have big problems fitting them. Good idea but not thought out enough by the designer.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Graham Derby said:

they are very good on single axle vans , but a nightmare on twins. The problem is the Caravan Club insurance is void if you dont use both clamps, and i have big problems fitting them. Good idea but not thought out enough by the designer.
That's a good enough reason for me in not having a twin-axle at any price - the very thought of jacking up a large, heavy caravan on a soft grass pitch makes you wonder just who thought up such a stupid idea and why insurers aren't clever enough to see that it's totally impractical.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
RogerL said:
Graham Derby said:

That's a good enough reason for me in not having a twin-axle at any price - the very thought of jacking up a large, heavy caravan on a soft grass pitch makes you wonder just who thought up such a stupid idea and why insurers aren't clever enough to see that it's totally impractical.
My Abbey t/a 620 Vogue was not fitted with Alko receivers.
I was a bit disappointed at the time, especially as we'd been given a free Bulldog wheel clamp to fit the Alko on the previous caravan.
I'm glad now that we haven't got them after reading some forum posts about the difficulties that can arise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts