How full is my gas bottle

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sure I read a top tip about how full a gas bottle is but cannot remember the details. Does anyone know a method other than shaking the thing! Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Weigh it. I have a spring balance from a rope in my garage. Weigh the bottle and subtract the weight shown on the cylinder - for instance, my 5kg lightw8 from MTH is 3.5kg empty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kate.

Get yourself a spring balance, assuming you are using 7KG butane (Blue) cylinders, full weight approx 30Kg of this 7KG is gas (in it's liquid form). Deduct actual weight from 30Kg to find approx. amount of gas remaining.

I think the accurate weight of the empty cylinder may be stamped on it,

Or there are gauges such as 'Gaslow'available. see www.gaslow.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kate.

Get yourself a spring balance, assuming you are using 7KG butane (Blue) cylinders, full weight approx 30Kg of this 7KG is gas (in it's liquid form). Deduct actual weight from 30Kg to find approx. amount of gas remaining.

Correction to my last posting, weight of one full butane 7.0Kg cylinder approx 15Kg, I had the weight of the pair that I carry in my head - it was late at night, after taking the medicinal fluid,(single malt) sorry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Kate.

shake it and see

Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
Spring balance or other complicated weighing device is not necessary. take a cup of warm water, trickle the water over the cylinder so it runs down the side in a narrow stream. allow a few seconds to pass then feel along the wetted surface with a finger. The cylinder will feel warm above the gas level, below the level of gas the cylinder will be cold. Easy!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Response to Mike, I must add that your trickling water trick only works when you have been using gas for some time, as the temperature differential is only created when the body of the liquefied gas uses it latent heat to vapourise some of its self.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kate

try a Gas Low indecater from most dealers. In 30+ years of camping I have not had any worries about how much gas is left when it is empty swich over to the spare then get a replacement.I have never ran out.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kate

I agree with Jim. I've always used a Gaslow gauge. See the following webpage for a .pdf info sheet:

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pdf/GASLOW_2005_8pp.pdf
Due to the nose weight problem with my Sterling I can only carry one full and one low bottle at a time. So as soon as it drops into the yellow I know that it's time to get another bottle on stand by.

It's also great for leak testing your gas system. Just open the bottle to pressurise the system and close it off again. If after half an hour, (times vary see instructions), it's still reading green then you're system's OK. If it has dropped into the yellow or red then you must have a leak somewhere. I also ways check it before and after each trip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts