How heavy is a normal payload ?

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

I am in the process of buying a Sprint 390TK (2004)and wondered what is a normal pay load. Few questions........

Empty Weight is 770

Basic Eqiupment is 70KG : What is normally included in this ?

Mass running order is therefore 840 kg

My Car Vauxhall Zafira 2.0DTi Comfort max towing weight is 1050

So big question is will 210 kg be enough for luggage and other equipment.

Many thanks for yout time and regards

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You don't say what the maximum permissible weight of the caravan, i.e. its MTPLM, is. Is it 1050kg? In that case, you are correct in saying that you have 210kg of payload at your disposal. That figure is fairly typical and should cover normal needs.

However, if you have calculated it from the maximum permissible towload of your Zafira (also 1050kg), then you have made a mistake. The maximum permissible weight of caravan that your Zafira may tow is, as correctly stated, 1050kg (the axle load of the caravan) PLUS the noseweight of 75kg, i.e. its maximum MTPLM could be 1125kg. This would give you 285kg of potential payload, which would be a very good figure, but somehow I think that would exceed the max. weight of a Sprint 390TK.

The towload is NOT the total weight of the caravan, but only its axle load.

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello Lutz

Really appreciate your quick response.

The Maximum authorised Weight of the 390TK is 1200kg on the 2004 model http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/cristall.htm

So does that mean I can go up to 1125 and does 285KG sound little a good payload for 2 adults and 2 small children ?

Thanks again

Mike

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You should check to confirm whether the plated maximum permissible weight of the caravan is actually the 1200kg that you state is shown on the cuddles.abelgratis site and whether the MIRO is actually 840kg (published figures are usually low), but if both are correct, then yes, you would have 285kg of payload at your disposal.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

From what I have read you seem to be missing out on the fact that your car has a towing limit of 1050Kg. If you exceed this you are towing illegally and risk invalidating your insurance (both Car and Van). You need to check your weights very carefully and if you buy the van and stick with this combination ensure you do not exceed this limit.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
In my recent experience, for a family of 2+2, a normal payload will very quickly expand to be the maximum legal payload you can tow/carry. I very quickly ran out of payload and gross train weight on a Renault Grand Scenic and had to replace it with something more capable (Honda CR-V). I have now ran out of payload in the caravan and am about to buy a roofbox also to put all of the larger but not too heavy stuff in. I should have bought a large van I think :)

Cheers

David

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
This is exactly my point about not exceeding your max towing weight. It is so easy to put everything in and then find out how much you have got!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts