How long do tyres last?

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There have been previous posts mentioning it, I think Hutch may be aware of it, as he’s a well traveled bloke.
My caravan tyres, Hankook 195 70 15 RA18 Vantra LT. The pressures will raise from 65 psi to about 70 psi and the temp will rise upto 9 c above ambient temps. That's with the van at about 1600 to 1650kg.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That wasn't where I was going - the tyres are a real world example of where CP labelling would be useful for me. I considered buying these tyres as my single axle Hymer has a high max load and so running the stock tyres won't get you a 10% margin, these offer much higher loads... but at much higher PSI. If I run them at the caravan's recommended PSI in order to retain the handling, I wouldn't actually increase the load, so the whole excercise would be pointless. However I had to go find the max PSI (not easy with Kenda) in order to then know what I would get at 65.

If it had been labelled CP rather than C, I wouldn't have bothered as I would already known the answer.
I don't understand how that helps.

From the little I've read, the CP is intended for motorhomes, not caravans, although caravans can use them.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My caravan tyres, Hankook 195 70 15 RA18 Vantra LT. The pressures will raise from 65 psi to about 70 psi and the temp will rise upto 9 c above ambient temps. That's with the van at about 1600 to 1650kg.
Cannot remember the brand of tyre on our twin axle, but normal psi is 49 and after a few miles the TPMS shows that the pressure has risen up to about 53-54psi. Not too much difference in temperature unless a really hot day.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Cannot remember the brand of tyre on our twin axle, but normal psi is 49 and after a few miles the TPMS shows that the pressure has risen up to about 53-54psi. Not too much difference in temperature unless a really hot day.
That sounds spot on - one of the Aussie site details the 10% "rule" rather than specific psi increases.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Just re-looking at the issue on the Ovation tyre up there ^^, i actually would suspect that your tyres been left flat for some time at the dealer. The location/nature of the cracks is just right for sitting on the rim for a while, and it looks a little deformed too which makes me suspicious.

They're not great tyres though, probably no loss now you have to replace them. Before you do though, roll the tyre round so the cracks are at the bottom, then let the air out and send us a picture ;)
I can guarantee they didn't go flat, as the van was sitting on our drive for seven months, they did drop down to 60psi but no lower.
The tyres have now gone as I wasn't prepared to drive another mile on them and after this length of time we're keen to get away and get some use before the van goes on the market.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can guarantee they didn't go flat, as the van was sitting on our drive for seven months, they did drop down to 60psi but no lower.
The tyres have now gone as I wasn't prepared to drive another mile on them and after this length of time we're keen to get away and get some use before the van goes on the market.
What tyres have you now fitted?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think we had Ovation tyres on our 2011 Lunar caravan and they lasted 2 years before there were cracks. They were nearly 3 years older than the caravan. Also it was found that one of the tyres had a puncture repair prior to delivery.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts