How long does a 7KG Butane Gas bottle last please?

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone.

Now, I'm probably tempting fate now but we've had our caravan for nearly 2 years now and we're still on our first gas bottle. Every trip, I'm expecting it to run out and, up to now, it's still going strong. We only use the gas to cook as we always go on EHU sites and we've got a microwave and barbeque which we use quite a bit. I warm croissants in the oven every morning and cook occasionally on the hob and in the oven at night. We've had about 85ish nights away since buying the van and have got one of those little magnetic gauge things but I'm not convinced it works.

We're away for 4 nights over the BH weekend and if the bottle doesn't go then, we'll probably think about disconnecting and weighing it out of curiosity (need to practice changing it anyway!)

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It sounds like I have the same sort of usage as you. Mine usually last two years on average. I still carry two though because I got two when I bought the van. If you only have one, just make sure you know where the nearest Calor gas dealer is. A lot of sites will be able to swamp them. It's slightly more expensive to buy from a site usually but as it's only every two years !!

Rich.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It sounds like I have the same sort of usage as you. Mine usually last two years on average. I still carry two though because I got two when I bought the van. If you only have one, just make sure you know where the nearest Calor gas dealer is. A lot of sites will be able to swamp them. It's slightly more expensive to buy from a site usually but as it's only every two years !!

Rich.
swop not swamp !!

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Richard, helpful advice. We do only carry one but we've got a gas barbeque-come-camping stove with a small camping gaz bottle so could at least use that if we were caught short. We intend changing that to an extra Calor Bottle when we've emptied it but it was leftover from our tenting days and we wanted to use it up first.

Cheers, just thought we'd got a bottomless gas bottle!

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We do lots of rallies on 12v and gas and a 13Kg bottle will last about 3 months and that is running hot water heating and cooking incl barbeque over appx 15-20 nights.

Of more interest to you, I get a good indication of amount of gas left by feeling the bottle when in use - the gas filled part of the bottle is noticeably colder and in winter may even get icy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts