How many nights?

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Hello all,

Just put a deposit down on our first van, a second hand Bailey Pursuit 560-5 2016 and we’re collecting it at the end of the month.

Just wondering how many nights you go away for a year and at a time, particularly those who work full time. I’d be hoping to get away for weekends fairly frequently if we can find a couple of nice sites within an hour’s drive.

Bev

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We are a family off 4 , both kids at school , both full time working , but get away every 5th weekend from a Friday afternoon to the Sunday afternoon , caravan all year round wot ever the weather .

Enjoy your new cararvan .

Craig .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are of the Arctic blond folk, and very seldom, get away in the "High season" but before and after that almost every other week for 4 days, love to get away in the winter times , cold is not a problem , but dislike the rain but will put up with it if the pub is only 1/2 a mile away.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
In the days of yore when I worked and before grandchildren and single parent kids we got away a great deal.

Isn't strange, whe We "worked" we got away a lot now its lets get away before the next hospital appointment or the next wedding.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Retired now, and we go off when we want and come back home went we want; just had 3 weeks away in Germany came home for 2 weeks, then off on a 3 day meet, back home on Sunday, will be away again on Thursday for a 5 day meet until Tuesday, then off again Thursday to a THS for 10 or 12 nights. Plans made for Sept, Oct and through winter.
We use the C&CC 3/5 day meets and temporary holiday sites, cheap, no booking in good locations and off grid, do plenty of walking and cycling.

42963345305_94870fe57a_c.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BezD said:
Hello all,

Just put a deposit down on our first van, a second hand Bailey Pursuit 560-5 2016 and we’re collecting it at the end of the month.

Just wondering how many nights you go away for a year and at a time, particularly those who work full time. I’d be hoping to get away for weekends fairly frequently if we can find a couple of nice sites within an hour’s drive.

Bev
Bev,
What County are you?
My last ten years at work , rather than stay in a hotel my MD was happy for me to travel to meetings and use the caravan instead of a hotel. Roughly £100 per night inclusive. I organised my own meeting dates so Thursday Fridays Mondays were the dates. I then got free long weekends for all of us and kept the boss happy.
All year round.
We often travel 30 -50 miles to a site for two / three days. As Hutch says for us guys no more than 10 minutes walk from a pub with good beer and food plus dog friendly.
Just enjoy it.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Enjoy your new van.
We get away every other or max every third weekend all year round, more so in the winter, plus 2 longer (7-12 days) stays.
Love it.

Kev

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Living in the Midlands we have the luck to have so many places within an hours drive which gives us new places to visit without clocking the miles! So far this year we have had 5 shorter breaks, all except one on this basis, and on several been able to add nights if we weren't ready to head home! Retirement has some perks apart from getting older!
Liking to have a focus we sometimes look online for charitable open gardens and stay nearby, or NT places we always wanted to visit.
I'm sure if you post a destination on here you will get lots of recommendations. PC Mag has the 'County Counsel' series with ideas of where to stay and what to visit.
Hope you enjoy making th most of your new van!

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies.

We are in Cardiff so we have West Wales, Brecon Beacons, Wye Valley and Forest of Dean all within reasonable drives. Any recommendations (esp those with a close pub) very welcome!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BezD said:

We are in Cardiff so we have West Wales, Brecon Beacons, Wye Valley and Forest of Dean all within reasonable drives. Any recommendations (esp those with a close pub) very welcome!

Rhandirmwyn Camping and Caravan Club site with the CAMRA Royal Oak just up the road. The Welsh Black steaks are tops. Beautiful area too.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
BezD said:

Rhandirmwyn Camping and Caravan Club site with the CAMRA Royal Oak just up the road. The Welsh Black steaks are tops. Beautiful area too.
http://www.postonmill.co.uk
And
https://www.pitchup.com/campsites/Wales/West-Wales/Powys/Crickhowell/riverside-caravan-park_________/

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
We both work full time, and get away about 40 nights/year! This includes x3 1 week stays and the rest is weekends. I try to do a weekend at least once a month, but just got my new to me Caravan so away 3 weekends this month! We go in the winter too, and autumn I think is my favourite season. Winter caravanning doesn't carry the good weather expectation, so if it rains you do not feel disappointed!

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
BezD said:
Hello all,

Bev

We have managed 10 nights so far this year after getting the new van in April. We both have long commutes (In opposite directions) and are almost always in the office on Fridays, so a late afternoon getaway for a weekend is never usually possible, so we have to book annual leave and pre-plan trips. We have another 14 nights booked for a 2-week tour at the end of August, which would mean a new record for our yearly total!. A seasonal pitch would be a better option for impromptu weekends, but we like going to different places.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Just working ours out on the calendar we have so far getting away for 2o nights since end of January and have another 11 booked up till Christmas, it would have been an extra two weeks if we gone across to France with caravan but we are going aboard flying this year.

* that should say going abroad

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Generally aim for about 30 nights away,1 week at easter ,2 weeks in summer hols,and about 4 long weekends inbetween.As we are a family of four inc 2 teenage kids its school hols only at moment ,cant see this pattern changing anytime soon.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
Generally aim for about 30 nights away,1 week at easter ,2 weeks in summer hols,and about 4 long weekends inbetween.As we are a family of four inc 2 teenage kids its school hols only at moment ,cant see this pattern changing anytime soon.

Ha , I know the feeling Brasso - for the next 1o years for us !!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
10yrs Craig? I wish,my kids are 15 and 13,unfortunately my wife works in a school,so school hols it is unless I can get her to change jobs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, just look forward to retirement ! Since retiring and rebuilding the house we have averaged around 160 nights away each year for the last 18 or so, mainly in Europe ( leaving UK touring until we can no longer get / afford travel insurance.
We know a number of couples to whom our figure is only a starting point, but it's not a competition. Budget airlines make short home breaks for special occasions, Christmas etc. quite feasible.
Closer to home using the in-built facilities of the caravan to the full (i.e. showers) enables the use of the small CL or CS sites and adds variety Many Club Local Section rallies welcome members from other centres, so you may be able to visit local festivals etc in company with like minded folk and increase your circle offriends still more

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts