How many of you are not members of one of the Clubs?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How many of you are not members of the Caravan Club or the Camping & Caravanning Club?

Membership costs a similar amount to an annual subscription to PC. You get an excellent monthly magazine, a handbook full of useful information including technical information, club sites & CLs, foreign touring information, etc, etc.

As responsible caravanners why do you not join?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I consider myself a responsible person as well as a responsible caravaner having recently retired as a college lecturer and hope to continue cravaning for a good few years yet having been a caravaner for over 30 years. I am not a member of any caravan club as I fail to see the benefits of membership. I know people who are members of both the main clubs and are disappointed with their membership. I have been on occassions as guests at rallies and did not feel welcome at them so now when invited I decline the offer. Regarding discounts I think I fair pretty well on site fees, ferries, insurance,etc. without the benefit of club membership.

I am not knocking any club and should one enjoy the benefits of membership good luck to them, it is not our cup of tea.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I am in the caravan club purely for the ease of knowing that if at the last minute we want a weekend away I can get on the web-site find a site with space book on-line and know when I get there it will be up to an acceptable standard. You here so many horror stories of independent sites I feel it must be a bit of a lottery to choose a good one. Perhaps when I have your years of experience Colin I will be spreading my wings a bit more

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tried both clubs. They seem aimed at the older couples and the mag was less interesting the PC.

The sites are OK if you want a "nice" pitch and clean toilets. But we want a bit more.

Pete

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I am not a member of any club and have never been disappointed with a private site ever. I find the facilities generally better (more commercial I admit) but a pool/ leisure complex is a must for me and I don't know of any Club site in my viscinity (Lake District/ North Wales) with one. This may just be ignorance on my part so if anybody can enlighten me I would love to give it a try.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I consider myself a responsible person as well as a responsible caravaner having recently retired as a college lecturer and hope to continue cravaning for a good few years yet having been a caravaner for over 30 years. I am not a member of any caravan club as I fail to see the benefits of membership. I know people who are members of both the main clubs and are disappointed with their membership. I have been on occassions as guests at rallies and did not feel welcome at them so now when invited I decline the offer. Regarding discounts I think I fair pretty well on site fees, ferries, insurance,etc. without the benefit of club membership.

I am not knocking any club and should one enjoy the benefits of membership good luck to them, it is not our cup of tea.
I was meaning to suggest that contributors to this forum WERE responsible caravanners driving well matched units, towed in a considerate and safe manner, etc etc.

I joined the Caravan Club because it offers me a chain of well run sites and I find their European travel service very convenient to use.

The club also offer technical information that would people posting some basic questions on this forum.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
I am a member of the Caravan Club, but hardly use their sites now because I hate pitching on hardstanding.

Grass pitch = great

Hardstanding - well you might as well be on a supermarket car park

Michael Bird

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we are no longer members.we joined the caravan and camping club but were a bit dissapointed as there are not a huge amount of sites in scotland.also it was not any cheeper than "normal" sites.All the sites we have been to are extremely clean even though they are not a club status.I am sure to people in the south they may be more usefull.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been on many commercial sites and have often been disappointed with the general inconsideration by some of the other campers especially with noise in the small hours of the morning. At least with the c.c. I have found(so far) that you can get a decent nights sleep without being part of someone elses party!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have been on many commercial sites and have often been disappointed with the general inconsideration by some of the other campers especially with noise in the small hours of the morning. At least with the c.c. I have found(so far) that you can get a decent nights sleep without being part of someone elses party!
We havent experienced that yet,but thanks we will keep thAt in mind for the future.we tend to go to smallish sites with no pub on site so that doesnt happen .thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was meaning to suggest that contributors to this forum WERE responsible caravanners driving well matched units, towed in a considerate and safe manner, etc etc.

I joined the Caravan Club because it offers me a chain of well run sites and I find their European travel service very convenient to use.

The club also offer technical information that would people posting some basic questions on this forum.
Hi Dusty - I hope the wording of my reply has not offended you. I did not think when typing it that the phraseology could possibly cause offence. I will however confirm my feelings regarding both the major clubs and I think other contributers have agreed with my views. However once again please accept my apologies for the manner of the wording of my reply.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Hi Colin, certainly no offence was taken and perhaps I could have worded it better in the first place. But after a couple of beers...well...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dusty, although I'm a member of the CC, a work collegue who is a carravaner, isn't a member of either. He maintains that CC & CCC sites do not have the levels of ammenities that he and his fammily require. I.e. on site entertainment, bars clubs etc. Not everyone wants a quite time away.

Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm a CC member and have been since I started vanning 5 years ago - and up until May I'd NEVER used a CC site but I have been on a fair number of CC rallies .....

I'll agree with Colin and Pete - some Centres are not particularly welcoming and there is a tendency for an 'older' age group to run the show BUT if you keep trying you'll eventually find a Centre that suits your way of thinking.

We live in Hants but rally with Bucks cos they made us welcome - when you've got three 12 year olds you don't get that very often !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if I fit into the profile of a caravan club member according to some comments in forums, but to be honest I do not care.

I would like to say that joining the caravan club was the best move I made. My wife and I have 2 small children and a dog, and have started caravanning start of this year. Joining the caravan club allowed me access to technical info, as well as useful info over the phone (many thanks). We started out early this year going to commercial sites (non caravan clubs). I am far from been a snob, but found those sites noisy, scruffy, expensive and certainly not relaxing (the reason we bought a caravan). We went to a CC only site, and had a great weekend. Since then we have started going to CL sites and these even better.

So far this year, I feel we have had our money's worth. We would certainly recommed CC to anybody in our position. CC club is not just about rally's. It does cater for families. Keep uo the good work CC !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know if I fit into the profile of a caravan club member according to some comments in forums, but to be honest I do not care.

I would like to say that joining the caravan club was the best move I made. My wife and I have 2 small children and a dog, and have started caravanning start of this year. Joining the caravan club allowed me access to technical info, as well as useful info over the phone (many thanks). We started out early this year going to commercial sites (non caravan clubs). I am far from been a snob, but found those sites noisy, scruffy, expensive and certainly not relaxing (the reason we bought a caravan). We went to a CC only site, and had a great weekend. Since then we have started going to CL sites and these even better.

So far this year, I feel we have had our money's worth. We would certainly recommed CC to anybody in our position. CC club is not just about rally's. It does cater for families. Keep uo the good work CC !!
As you say every one to their own. Welcome to caravaning and I hope you thoroughly enjoy many years of the hobby, my wife and I have. As a new entry to the hobby you will probably learn from friends, neighbours, this site, etc. that there are digusting commercial sites out there which are often also very expensive. However there are also many family run quiet sites that would seem to cater for the more relaxed quiet holiday you wish for. I am not knocking either club but do not be blinkered by your first experience of the private commercial sector. Good luck with your caravan and hope for many years pleasure for you and your family

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I am not a member of any club and have never been disappointed with a private site ever. I find the facilities generally better (more commercial I admit) but a pool/ leisure complex is a must for me and I don't know of any Club site in my viscinity (Lake District/ North Wales) with one. This may just be ignorance on my part so if anybody can enlighten me I would love to give it a try.
Well the silence was defening so I guess that awswers that one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts