How should you change a wheel?

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Any mechanical engineers amonst you that understand sresses.It is recommended when you change a caravan wheel that you leave the car coupled up.This I did when I last had a puncture 25 years ago and I found it hard work as you seem to be not only lifting the van but also the back of the car,but it occurs to me that left coupled up as you jack the van it lifts side to side but also tries to lift the car is this the case and more importantly does this place stresses on the chassis in a twisting motion.Answers on a postcard to ........

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The forces exerted on the chassis when lifting a wheel up are well within the capability of the design. It's no worse than pulling the caravan with one wheel up a kerb or something similar. As such a condition doesn't happen very often, it will not have any detrimental effect on durability. Therefore, for safety's sake, keep the caravan hitched up to the car when changing a wheel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the car & 'van remained coupled and one 'van wheel is raised then the 'van remains on its 3 designed ballance points ie both sides of the axle and the coupling (or jockey wheel). No dammage can occur. I believe that the idea behind the 'van remaining coupled to the towcar is to reduce the risk of the 'van moving or falling off the jack.

The rear of the car can in no way be lifted when the 'van is lifted by jacking near to the flat wheel unless you are lifting the 'van with its corner steadies which I don't think us Pracical Caravanners would ever do.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks guys its no big problem as I say I have not had to do it for 25 years (now that is tempting fate)but I have often wondered because the old hitches swivelled whereas the latest type dont that is why i wondered if it exerted a twisting motion at the ball (excuse the bad language!)Lutz are you going to any of the world cup games,also on the Lickhill photos it looked as though you lost your front number plate or was that just my eyes.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Thanks guys its no big problem as I say I have not had to do it for 25 years (now that is tempting fate)but I have often wondered because the old hitches swivelled whereas the latest type dont that is why i wondered if it exerted a twisting motion at the ball (excuse the bad language!)Lutz are you going to any of the world cup games,also on the Lickhill photos it looked as though you lost your front number plate or was that just my eyes.
To your first question, yes, we've got tickets for the game between Trinidad and Tobago and Paraguay. Should be interesting considering the result the two respective matches today.

And, yes, I did almost loose my front number plate while causing a mini-tsunami in the ford. I stuck it back in place temporarily with Araldite but got myself a new holder when I got back home.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
How do people change their caravan wheels? Most vans do not have a bottle jack supplied and most cars use some sort of jack that fixes to the sill of the car.

At home I use a hydraulic jack but when I am away I do not take it. I suppose I could improvise with the car jack but I have not yet tried it!

You should not use the corner steadies to jack up your van, so how do people manage?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How to change a wheel? Depends where you are. Like graeme, at home I use a small trolley jack, which lives in the boot of the car. However, if I were on the side of a major road there is only one safe way to do it. Call the recovery company! they have all the neccesary kit and safety equipment. I t may delay you by an hour or so, but you'll arrive alive.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Using the corner steadies even heavy duty ones is not a good idea,they are 'steadies' not jacks.I treated myself to an Alko sidelift jack that is not that expensive,does the job and is fairly light but cant argue with Emmerson (who would dare)RAC etc got to be the best route unless you can pull into a carpark or similar away from passing traffic.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Using the corner steadies even heavy duty ones is not a good idea,they are 'steadies' not jacks.I treated myself to an Alko sidelift jack that is not that expensive,does the job and is fairly light but cant argue with Emmerson (who would dare)RAC etc got to be the best route unless you can pull into a carpark or similar away from passing traffic.
Gee. thanks, Sir Anthony! And you too, Joby.It's really nice to be appreciated! He-he-he

May 4, 2005
Visit site
For those that use a bottle jack remember it will almost certainly not fit under a van with a flat tyre so don't forget to carry something to use as a ramp to raise the van high enough to use it.Of course on a twin axle it may be possible to get away without a jack using this method Brian (",)

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
As most of you have pointed out the safest way to lift your caravan is when it is attached to the towing vehicle and the safest and correct lifting point is just behind the rear wheel.

You all seem to have your own opinions on the correct lifting device to be used but if you use a product like Trail-A-Mate you can operate the jacking device in the safest possible way as you never have to go under the caravan to position or use it. The brackets either side of your van attach to the lifting clamp and make the whole operation easy and safe for whoever operates the jack.

So if you are on the side of a busy road, the only equipment that the recovery may have over you is a large van with flashing lights to warn other road users. The equipment they carry is very much the same as yours and so if they can use an even safer piece of kit they too can get back to the depot alive as you can if you do not attempt the job yourself. (recovery people have one of the highest fatalities on the road side)

If on the other hand you need to lift your caravan ...and many of you have mentioned a new wheel clamp which requires the caravn to be jacked up to fit....you can lift the van quickly and with ease, level, put on winter wheels, change a wheel if required and in a safe place and do any other work on your van safely.

As Trail-A-Mate doubles up as a hydraulic jockey wheel as well so you do not need to carry two products around with you only one.

As Graeme commented cars are usually provided with a suitable jack and fixing point but unfortunately the manufacturers do not see fit to do the same for caravans and light trailers.

You should not attempt to use your car jack on your caravan as it has no fitting point and has not been tested to be used on a caravan only the model of your car. I know many do and have possible got away with it but it only needs the one mistake and you could be in grave danger from being crushed.

I know there are jacks which have a fixing point on the chassis but you still have to go underneath the caravan to attach the jacking device. This jack can also require a great amount of strength to be operated and some times the weight of the caravan is too much for it.

With Trail-A-Mate you do not have this problem and we would like the manufacturers to fit lifting points as standard where you do not have to go under the van to show that they have the health and safety of the consumers upamost in their consideration.

This is why, as some of you know, we went to Brussels to the European Parliament to get standards for lifting devices and suitable attachment points only to find out that the UK Governing Body are not interested in your safety.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I have read this post and the replies with interest and some dis-belief. Firstly, I agree with the suggestions that a trolley jack is the way to go, not a bottle jack. A trolley jack is far more stable and if the van moved a little when a lorry, for instance passed, there is less likelyhood of the van falling off the jack.

The comments about "call the RAC" or similar company are crazy.

As an experienced ex-Road Patrol Officer, we used to be called Traffic cops, what you should do is as follows:-

If you have a problem on the motorway, pull onto the hard shoulder,over as far to the verge as you can for an offside puncture, get everyone safely out of the vehicle and up the verge, and then walk to the nearest emergency telephone. Look for the marker posts, they have little phone signs on them and an arrow pointing to the nearsest phone. These phones are connected to Police control rooms and will be answered quickly. You do not even need to know where you are, the police will know that from the phone activation.

Tell them the problem. If you have a spare, request assistance to give some cover to you while you change the wheel. The police would rather assist you than deal with the carnage that could result.

I have attended several such calls over the years and found it better to change the wheel for the people, rather than wait in most cases, over an hour for the recovery firm.

If you puncture on an country A class road, pull into the first available place you can, a lay-by, company entrance-way etc. Don't just stop. Put on your hazard lights and travel very slowly. OK the tyre will be shot, maybe even the wheel, and will require replacement, but a

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have read this post and the replies with interest and some dis-belief. Firstly, I agree with the suggestions that a trolley jack is the way to go, not a bottle jack. A trolley jack is far more stable and if the van moved a little when a lorry, for instance passed, there is less likelyhood of the van falling off the jack.

The comments about "call the RAC" or similar company are crazy.

As an experienced ex-Road Patrol Officer, we used to be called Traffic cops, what you should do is as follows:-

If you have a problem on the motorway, pull onto the hard shoulder,over as far to the verge as you can for an offside puncture, get everyone safely out of the vehicle and up the verge, and then walk to the nearest emergency telephone. Look for the marker posts, they have little phone signs on them and an arrow pointing to the nearsest phone. These phones are connected to Police control rooms and will be answered quickly. You do not even need to know where you are, the police will know that from the phone activation.

Tell them the problem. If you have a spare, request assistance to give some cover to you while you change the wheel. The police would rather assist you than deal with the carnage that could result.

I have attended several such calls over the years and found it better to change the wheel for the people, rather than wait in most cases, over an hour for the recovery firm.

If you puncture on an country A class road, pull into the first available place you can, a lay-by, company entrance-way etc. Don't just stop. Put on your hazard lights and travel very slowly. OK the tyre will be shot, maybe even the wheel, and will require replacement, but a

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I note that you are an ex Road Patrol officer(whatever that is) but are not suprised if that is you position given your response.a trolley jack will rarely fit under the van when you have a puncture so if on a busy road or motorway RAC/AA etc have got to be the way forward if you think this is too risky for the patrolman perhaps this is why you are 'ex'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts