How to change micro switch in whale tap - Xplore 574

Apr 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, new member here.

currently away in Whitby,bathroom tap only has a dribble on both hot and cold and does not activate pump when opened.

based on what I’ve read, it’s likely to be the micro switch. I’m struggling accessing it in this tap as I’m not 100% how to get the top off it. I don’t want to be too rough so any advice would be welcome.

picture of the tap attachedD9112B5F-92DB-4362-9703-F7DD97E03D90.jpeg

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I don't know that tap, our similar one is accessed by unscrewing the "bar" handle from the body, then the chromed cap lifts off, and so on.
Worth a try without going too hard if the handle is not screwed as mine.

Edit: It might be a good plan to look below the tap to ensure there are actually wires confirming you have a microswitch based system. Not all are, some water systems use a system pressure switch.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Before any dismantling check the filters in the tap spout are not blocked. By the looks on the picture the end should unscrew but just keep a note of how the filters are assembled. You can identify if you have a micro switch system - the taps may or not have wires but see if they are connected to anything - I had thought Xplore used whale pressure system not micro switches. Good luck

Reactions: Mel
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Before any dismantling check the filters in the tap spout are not blocked. By the looks on the picture the end should unscrew but just keep a note of how the filters are assembled. You can identify if you have a micro switch system - the taps may or not have wires but see if they are connected to anything - I had thought Xplore used whale pressure system not micro switches. Good luck
Good advice as that is what happened with us many years ago. Simply gave the tap outlet good wipe and working again.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The tap in question is not starting the pump, so if it is indeed fitted with a microswitch then the aerator being somewhat blocked would not cause that; even if not micro switched, a poor flow through the aerator would only delay the pump coming on, not stop it.

However, the aerators getting fouled up with various detritus is more likely an issue at this time of the year when after being "dried out" through the lay up the resulting corpse of any algae and calcium flakes get washed into the tap aerators.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Rik, if you open a kitchen tap to get a flow and then open the bathroom tap, does water flow from the bathroom tap. If not as the others have suggested, check the filters in the end of the taps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, new member here.

currently away in Whitby,bathroom tap only has a dribble on both hot and cold and does not activate pump when opened.

I'm not clear about one aspect of your posting, Do you mean the taps dribble when they are turned off? or do you mean when they are turned on you only get a dribble and the pump doesn't turn on?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts