How to clean Pipes

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Can anybody advise what is the best way to clean the drain pipes in the caravan

we have one that runs from the kitchen sink another from the shower and one from the bedroom sink

I would imagine they are fairly dirty between the sink and the outlet pipe and was wondering what would be the best way to go about it

Thanks

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Block off the end of the waste pipes with corks or some other suitable material.

Put some milton or other suitable cleaning fluid into each of the plug hole's.

Turn on the taps and allow the water & milton to go into the waste pipes.

Turn off the taps when the water backs up to the sinks and shower plug holes.

( just make sure you don't flood the caravan by keeping a close eye on the level of water )

Leave the water in the pipes for the amount of time stated on the cleaning fluid instructions.

Take out the corks and allow the water to drain away.

Flush through with clean hot water to remove any debris left in the pipes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, soak and then flush as suggested. BUT remember the shower drain is much lower than the sink and WHB, so put the plug in the shower and put a weight on top of it ( a couple of bricks will do) or you will end up with all the gunge from your sink and WHB in your shower tray.
A normal drain cleaner works quite well if you plug the outlet, put the drain cleaner down the sink and whb and the gradually fill with water. Let it soak for half and hour and then 'pull the plug'.
You should also clean out your Wastmaster or whatever container you use for waste water, of smell from this can work back up through the pipes if you leave plugs out of sink and/or WHB.
Without being indelicate the biggest problem is hair from showering and /or shaving. Caravan plumbing uses right angle bends rather than the 'slow' easy flowing bend in domestic plumbing. These tend to block more readily - hence the advice to block the outlet and leave the drain cleaner to dissolve the........... You may well be surprised at what comes out, but, as they say, better out than in.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I put a cork in the sink outlet then put some caustic soda down the plug followed by hot water.It gurgles and pops , leave for a couple of mins then take the cork out.You should see the muck that can shift.

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't recommend Mr Muscle drain cleaner enough - any supermarket sells it - in the orange bottle. I had a drain totally blocked by hair etc and it removed every trace. I did leave it in overnight to achieve this tho'

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi john.the best product by far is Fenwicks all round pipe cleaner Fendox, I use it all round the home as it's septic tank friendly as well as plastic. If indought just Google it. joice

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I did ours today using the cork in outlet and Aldi drain cleaner followed by pressure washer drain tube up the pipes
The cork was removed and the cleaner collected into the waste water container to give that a nicer aroma

TRENDING THREADS