How to repair delaminated floor?

Aug 9, 2006
Visit site
I tried the search but it found nothing. Can anyone point me in the direction of instructions to do this or put them here please. Its job we keep putting off but really needs doing!

Thanks

Cob

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Floor Delamination.

1. Requests for fixing floor delamination require the owner being quoted for the work prior to starting.

2. A 2 day time frame must be allowed for the job, as it requires two visits to the van.

3.Inspect van floor and determine extent of problem.

4.Agree with owner regarding removal of floor covering, will he remove coverings to allow access to the floor, or does he want you to remove it?

5. Explain that the floor WILL have very visible evidence of repair, as it will need to be drilled at approx 9 inch centres across the extent of problem.

6. If carpet involved, and is to be reused, use a very sharp Stanley Knife and cut at 90 degrees to horizontal to ensure good edge for relaying. Cut approx 6 inches bigger than affected area .

TOOLS REQUIRED

Stanley Knife with several new blades

Scraper.

Claw hammer

Dustpan and Brush or vacuum cleaner

Several clean used gun tubes

Floor Chemical

Carpet door cover strip if carpet cut across doorway.

Method.

1. Remove floor covering if possible.

2. Start furthest away from door

3. Mark floor at 9 inch centres in diamond pattern across affected area.

4. Check floor for stringers.

5. Avoid holes closer than 6 inches to side furniture.

6 Drill 8mm on marked points JUST through first ply layer. NOT full depth of floor sandwich.

7.Press Phillips screwdriver through each hole and wriggle about to break up polystyrene as much as possible.

8. Clean up debris on floor, use scraper if needed to remove old carpet backing.

Ensure area to be treated is as clean as possible.

9. Remove ALL tools from van.

10. Use suitable number of empty cartridges.

11. Cut Nozzle at 90 degrees to provide a 7mm nozzle end.

12. Put Duck Tape over nozzle end to provide temp seal.

13. Wear mask and goggles, mix suitable quantity of chemicals.

14.Fill tubes to approx

Apr 25, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I do a lot of floor repairs and strongly recommend you go for the single pack foaming floor adhesive not the 2 pack adhesives.

A lot of 2 pack delamination kits are mistakenly sold for floor repairs whereas they are intended for use to re-glue aluminium skins.

The foaming adhesives foam up once injected (to a similar density to a crunchie bar), filling all the voids and gluing the bottom sheet of plywood to the top sheet of the floor re-instating the structural integrity of the floor.

They come in an easy to use container and do not need mixing. If any is left it can be kept in case the floor needs a further treatment.

Use the same method as described above and on the second day just cut of the little "volcanoes" of foam.

The adhesive I use with great success is A7510 from Apollo Chemicals Limited (and no I do not work for them! :) ).

I have even used this adhesive in situations where the existing insulation core has completely broken down and rescued the floor.

I hope that this helps.

Nigel

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Nigel

You sound like the kind of person I would like to know - you dont live anywhere near Gloucestershire do you ?

Carol
Hi Carol, sorry, no I dont live near Gloucestershire, I am on the sunny Isle of Wight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts