How to seal around a bent damaged awning rail without having to replace it?

May 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi

I posted yesterday that the awning rail on the back side of my caravan got pulled away from the body and got quite twisted when it got scraped by a wall when moving it. The sealant fell out. The rail was forced back down on the edge and screwed in with big screws as a temporary measure to attach it. What I think is the infill strip is curving around the sides of the screws. I have taped (All Weather tape) as much of the length of the rail as I can to keep water off. So far it hasn't happened to rain! It's outside and my biggest concern is attracting water ingress along this side edge.
My caravan is an old Sterling Eccles Emerald Swift caravan, possibly 2000 or earlier. I don't know where to source a new awning rail for it. I'm not wanting to spend much more money on this as I already have other installs to make. I don't mind how it looks, I just want to prevent water damage going forwards. I'm wondering how best to seal the whole edge without replacing the rail?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I posted yesterday that the awning rail on the back side of my caravan got pulled away from the body and got quite twisted when it got scraped by a wall when moving it. The sealant fell out. The rail was forced back down on the edge and screwed in with big screws as a temporary measure to attach it. What I think is the infill strip is curving around the sides of the screws. I have taped (All Weather tape) as much of the length of the rail as I can to keep water off. So far it hasn't happened to rain! It's outside and my biggest concern is attracting water ingress along this side edge.
My caravan is an old Sterling Eccles Emerald Swift caravan, possibly 2000 or earlier. I don't know where to source a new awning rail for it. I'm not wanting to spend much more money on this as I already have other installs to make. I don't mind how it looks, I just want to prevent water damage going forwards. I'm wondering how best to seal the whole edge without replacing the rail?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If replacement is not favoured and you don’t mind aesthetics you could just tape it using good all weather high binding tapes. Two such ones are Eternabond or Rooflock. They are extremely good at weather sealing. Lots of videos on YouTube showing US motorhomes having many areas sealed with Eternabond

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you can remove it without breaking or twisting it 🤔Then taking the whole thing off, removing all the old sealant and then resealing it may be your best option. New sealant will not bond to old sealant, so you have to get it all off and cleaned back.
Mel

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would get a Mobile Caravan Services & Repairs they come and have a look and give you a fixed price and then you know it been done Professional :giggle:

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
If you can remove it without breaking or twisting it 🤔Then taking the whole thing off, removing all the old sealant and then resealing it may be your best option. New sealant will not bond to old sealant, so you have to get it all off and cleaned back.
Mel
Above is the only way. If the sealant fell out, you can guarantee the rest is shot. If you can straighten it After cleaning I would drill new holes in the rail about an inch away from the old ones and then in the van as you fit the rail, if the screws show signs of rusting, buy new ones, bags of new sealant,and you have a repair that will last. Photo would be good.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts