Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi guys,
can anybody tell me how to search the site for a review that seems to have dissappeared
I know it was there once but cannot find it all the site does is keep refering me to the towcar tests that does not contain the content i'm looking for,
the review i'm after was done by one of the mags staff on the 1.7cdti meriva that he had on test from new it was a fairly long write up where he mentioned about the brakes squealing @ 60.000 miles what was wrong and how it was fixed.
well guess what mines done 61k and the brakes squeal the garage can't find why vauxhall dont know why and nothing seems to stop it.
it's driving me nuts,
thanks colin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Colin
I've had a look using the website search facility but drew a blank unfortunately.
You could try contacting Towcar Editor David Motton via the contact page to see if he can help.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
Hi Colin
I've had a look using the website search facility but drew a blank unfortunately.
You could try contacting Towcar Editor David Motton via the contact page to see if he can help.

hi parky thanks for your efforts and my appologies for the delay in answering I did as you suggested. but unfortunatly had no luck perhaps in hindsight it may have been better to have done more research than pinning a answer on just one source and go with ones gut instincts
as it is I have instructed the local mechanic to service and renew the discs and pads front and back as the problem appears to be a design annomaly of the braking system. it is well documented when you know where to look??.
thanks once again for your and david's efforts.
colin

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I hope that you can get it sorted out Colin.
Out of interest I Googled 'Vauxhall Meriva Brake Squeal' and amongst a few results which carried no real information I found This
The consensus appears to be that the problem can be alleviated by bending back the dust duct back slightly and regular cleaning / pressure washing of the brakes in order to remove dust build up.
Why not ask on the Towcar message board to see if anyone else has come across this problem?

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi parksy thanks for that, yes I did come across the the same thread during research along with a fix from autocar that stated the build up of dust was the most likely cause as this makes the pads sticky and then they overheat reducing the clearance to the disc this in turn warms up the disc reducing the clearance even further the hotter the brakes get the more they squeal as the dust glows red and caramalisers on the surface of the pads. by 30k the discs will have started to deform and the pads crack although the may be plenty of meat still on them,
the FIX is to renew both discs and pads every 30k wether a squeal is present or not and after a thougher clean of the hubs and calipers the new pads should have a groove cut in them to collect any dust from the surface.
my mechanic is aware of this and will do the mods when he services the brakes.
colin

TRENDING THREADS