Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Last winter I asked, through this forum, for advice about taking a twin-axle caravan to Greece, through the above countries. The only response came from Lutz, who didn't think it was a good idea. We did it, anyway, and having just returned, can recommend Hungary and Romania, which are lovely countries, with plenty of good caravan sites, low cost of living and roads that, while not good, are not as bad as expected. Bulgaria, also a lovely country, and very cheap, has no caravan sites worth mention at present, but, having bought a house there, we hope to remedy this soon. If anyone would like more information, contact me at martinjeffes@yahoo.co.uk.

G

You have mentioned 3 countries, of which only one, Hungary is now in the EU. I have lived in Hungary and worked in Bulgaria. Of the 3 I would prefer Hungary as bluntly it is a country that has managed to escape at least some of the ravages of being an ex-Soviet satelite. Hungarians have a strong identity and are trying very hard to build their own country up to be a central part of the EU. The other 2 are undoubtedly cheap, but are yet to gain access to the EU, and that conclusion is still a matter for conjecture. Also, do not swim in the Back Sea. It is probably one of the most polluted pieces of water on the planet as a result of the Soviet influence.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Scotch Lad, thank you for your reply.

We liked Hungary, but only stayed at Lake Balaton, Pecs and Gyula. The reason we like our bit of Bulgaria ( south-east, near the Greek and Turkish borders) is the long hot summers, the cost of living, and the fact that we are surrounded by 1200 hectares of vineyards. Current opinion is that if the entry to the EU is delayed, it will only be for about 6 months. In both Romania and Bulgaria you see lots of examples of EU money being spent on improving the infrastructure.

Regards,

Martin.

G

Martin,

I am pleased you are enjoying your new location. That is all that matters at the end of the day. I lived and worked in Hungary in 2004 and drove along Balaton many times on my way to Nagykaniszca. However, I disagree with your opinion that Romania and Bulgaria will shortly join the EU. I am a bit cynical and the only reason the last lot of entries were allowed was because the French (Old Chirac), with the backing of the Germans thought that this would mean more supporters of their private policies. Once they realised the Hungarians and the Poles were not going to do that, and it would cost them money, I suspect all ideas of further expansion were kicked into the very long grass. Blair wants Turkey in, but he knows it isn't going to happen within his lifetime, so it looks good politically with no downside.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin,

just read your post,not been in the site for a while.

I travelled as far as Romania back in the early 90's.

At that time I was amazed at the amount of vehicles

lying toppled over at the side of the road although

not suprising when you see how they drive.

Another problem was the gypsies stealing the manhole

covers from the roads which caused quite a few deaths

when cars /trucks hit them at speed.

The up side were the people who were so friendly and

helpful apart from the drunk taxi driver who hit us

broadside and got imprisoned for 4 years the following

day.

We were also herded down a country road on the

Hungarian /Romanian border for 2 days and then met with

guards with machine guns looking for money and

cigarettes to get through the border crossing.

We were only one of 100 plus trucks/cars kept down this

country lane...quite intimidating but we paid up...

cheers john.b.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hello John,

thanks for your message. Although much of Romania is still somewhat primitive, I think you would see some changes if you were last there about 10 years ago. I haven't experienced 'missing manhole syndrome', but can quite easily believe that it could happen there. Also had no personal experience of having to bribe anyone.

Did you take a caravan out there?

Regards,

Martin.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin,

I didn't have a caravan in tow,I was driving a truck

as part of a team going out to build a hospice for

babies dying from aids.If my spelling is correct it

was a place called Preshmer.

After 2 weeks had to drive all the way back to Scotland

with food poisoning and shingles,thanks to our ex-army

cook who apparently was not boiling the drinking water

and the well was only 20 feet from the open sewer.

Another lesson learned.....I lost a stone and a half in

weight

regards john.b.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, were you out there with Blytheswood? I went a few times with The Napsbury Hospital Romanian Appeal (driving our mini bus with the guys from Blytheswood taking the heavy stuff for us. I was based in Cluj Napoca (Transalvania)helping run a summer camp in an orphanage with a gang of Oxford and Cambridge students.I have been down to Bucarest (via Brashov)and found the country and people fantastic.

Did find a lot of holes in the road but this was in the early 90's so hopefully things have improved and I would avoid driving at night as the locals like a drink of 'Tweeka'(brain numbing drink which seems to make you stand in the middle of roads or traintracks....Brian

TRENDING THREADS