Hymer Caravans

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I am just about to purchase a Hymer Caravan second hand. Looks in great condition after being stored under cover for the vast majority of its life.

Is Hymer a good brand and are there any issues I should be aware of

Thanks

Jools

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julian

You do not say which model or year of van you have in mind, however I am pretty sure if you do the usual checks for ie:- damp, floor delamination, dents and general wear and tear etc that the van will be OK.

Hymer are renowned for excellent build quality and bullet proof reliability.

We have a 2006 Nova 570 GS and it is fantastic. Would never buy British again!

Hope this helps

Regards Nidge

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Julian

You do not say which model or year of van you have in mind, however I am pretty sure if you do the usual checks for ie:- damp, floor delamination, dents and general wear and tear etc that the van will be OK.

Hymer are renowned for excellent build quality and bullet proof reliability.

We have a 2006 Nova 570 GS and it is fantastic. Would never buy British again!

Hope this helps

Regards Nidge
Where did you purchase your Nova?

Thank you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Where did you purchase your Nova?

Thank you.
Hi Alex

We purchased our Nova from Lowdhams in Notts. Did the deal at the Birmingham NEC show 2oo6. The salesman was not at all pushy and told us to look at other vans at the show which we did (only interested in the foreign vans as we had a nightmare with our former UK van).It was a choice between Hymer and Adria but glad to say we chose Hymer.

When picking up the van we were shown how everything worked and they made sure we were totally happy about everything. The total handover was around one and half hours and nothing was to much trouble for them.They even let us play with the motor mover in their servicing car park.

Regards

Nidge

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
We're getting our new/used Hymer next week it's been our dream for a couple of years, it's the quality we are after, but please be very care, make sure it has been brought up to UK spec, and it can be proven, we almost made themistake of buying one privately and it would have cost us a horrendous amount to get it brought up to UK specs, some work on them doesn't mean they are OK. If you want to know more go Lowdhams caravan Nottingham, and talk to Peter L there, he knows more aboutthem than Hymer does, and he will answer questions, and not make you feel stupid...... really.

Apr 15, 2006
Visit site
It sounds like Peter L has been talking from where the sun don't shine.

What do you mean "brought up to UK spec". You make it sound that European 'vans are inferior - a nonsense. Peter L is selling you scare stories in order to sell you a Lowdhams 'van.

The only issue to concern a private buyer of a non-UK specification caravan is the the upholstery. As this will not have passed the relevant UK fire safety checks - although it has passed the relevant European checks. This means that a UK dealer cannot sell it without changing the upholstery. This would only concern you if you were to part-ex it at a later date.

European vans have different spec's, not inferior. For example, you will never find an oven in a European van, but are more likely to find shock absorbers fitted - I know what I prefer.

At least you have highlighted some dodgy sales practices that appear to be going on.

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
It sounds like Peter L has been talking from where the sun don't shine.

What do you mean "brought up to UK spec". You make it sound that European 'vans are inferior - a nonsense. Peter L is selling you scare stories in order to sell you a Lowdhams 'van.

The only issue to concern a private buyer of a non-UK specification caravan is the the upholstery. As this will not have passed the relevant UK fire safety checks - although it has passed the relevant European checks. This means that a UK dealer cannot sell it without changing the upholstery. This would only concern you if you were to part-ex it at a later date.

European vans have different spec's, not inferior. For example, you will never find an oven in a European van, but are more likely to find shock absorbers fitted - I know what I prefer.

At least you have highlighted some dodgy sales practices that appear to be going on.
Sorry you feel that way, but we did get some information from another dealer who sells just German vans in Cambridge, he also told us to be very careful, its not just the upholsty but other things we would have wanted on the van, like a battery, and 12 volt system, a water pump, and the air space between the walls and cushions. they were pretty informative also, but if you are happy with what you got then that is all that matters isn't it. We are happy to know that we will be able to someday trade our van in again, without any hassle. Not arguing but we want to make our caravaning life as easy as possible now and in the future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts