hyundai santa fe, nissan x-trail or toyota rav 4

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
i am looking for a 4x4 car to pull my new avondale dart556 top weight of 1300kg. I like all of the above cars can anyone give me feedback on experiences regarding these cars

thanks Tigger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve - I currently tow an Avondale Rialto 550 (1340kg) with the Hyundai 2.0 TD. Absolutely fantastic towcar - cannot fault it at all as a towcar. The only very very slight let down is the interior plastic trim which sometimes annoys (nothing serious). Would buy another tomorrow if I was in the market for a new vehicle. Get about 25 mpg towing at 55/60 mph. I've towed with various vehicles (Citroen BX/Xantia/Daewoo Musso) and this is the best!

Enjoy

Jul 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We used to have the X-Trail which was the x reg version and we had very few complaints apart from, the drivers footwell was small and on long journeys became a bit cramped,the engine can be a bit raunchy when pushed and the appearance was something I never got used to as it always looked a bit on the narrow side but this didn't detract from the good bits.

Excellent for towing anything up to 1600kgs very comfortable ride sometimes a bit wallowy on corners and the steering not too positive , mpg what you would expect from a 4x4, I never got more that 28 solo and 25 towing.

Would I buy another?......No

But that's only my opinion.

Tom

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Steve - I currently tow an Avondale Rialto 550 (1340kg) with the Hyundai 2.0 TD. Absolutely fantastic towcar - cannot fault it at all as a towcar. The only very very slight let down is the interior plastic trim which sometimes annoys (nothing serious). Would buy another tomorrow if I was in the market for a new vehicle. Get about 25 mpg towing at 55/60 mph. I've towed with various vehicles (Citroen BX/Xantia/Daewoo Musso) and this is the best!

Enjoy
thanks foe your comments, the santa fe is my favorite choice and the wife likes it, do you know of any other 4x4s or people carriers ( with 4 wheel drive) that will make good tow cars. I prefer the ones that do not have the wheel on the back

thanks again Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
X reg X-Trail was it a pre production model?

We had one when they first came out and that was 51 reg

We are now on the third "Sport now Caledonia)and so far the best

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
I bought a Santa Fe diesel a year ago and tow a 1300kg 'van with no issues at all. Got 28mpg on the way back from Derbyshire last year with 4 people and luggage for a 2 week holiday - I was impressed. Engine is still running in but get about 31 solo at present. I think the car is excellent money and would consider another although I tend to go to different makes/models so as to try something different. Yes the car wallows but I think you will find all 4x4's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's the Santa Fe for me as well. I've got an 03 2.0 diesel and it averages 36 solo, 28 towing. Seems very reliable but I think servicing's slightly expensive at

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I tow a 1330kg max bailey Vermont with the 2.2dci xtrail, it really is a great tow car, performance and economy both good.

No wallowing on the corners and excellent steering, the brakes not as good as my previous Audi Quattro.

Obviously you cant throw the X around like a sports car because of the laws of physics, but the diesel engine is so flexible that you tend not to rush around, but drive using the torque.

The x is not a true of roader and so getting in and out of the car is really easy for our elderly in-laws. The pathfinder you have to step up and into for eg.

With the sve you get electric folding mirrors so I can park it in the garage.

Unless you envisage going to a heavier van I see no point in driving a 2 ton car around, the X is around the 1600kg, along with a tow weight of 2000kg and 100kg nose weight.

The latter I find the most useful with these pathetically designed caravans of today with such excessive nose weights. Its about time manufactures were made to print unloaded nose weights.

On the down side a recent oil leak from the front lhs of the intercooler resulted in a replacement being fitted under warranty, a 30 minute job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray agree with what you say as we have just got the third X

It now comes with the heated and electric folding mirrors on the Caledonia or Sport as it used to be.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

We have an X-trail 2.2 diesel, also the avondale 556/6, they are perfect partners, can't fault either of them, hope you enjoy your new van which ever towcar you choose, but can highly recommend the x-trail.

Lorraine

LRG

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
This is another Lorraine! We also have the 2.2 diesal X-trail. It is a wonderful tug and just as great solo. We get 45mpg solo and 30 towing. We tow a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and don't notice it is there.

Can't recommend the X-trail too highly.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Steve

We have an X-trail 2.2 diesel, also the avondale 556/6, they are perfect partners, can't fault either of them, hope you enjoy your new van which ever towcar you choose, but can highly recommend the x-trail.

Lorraine
hi lorraine,

the van i have just bought is the avondale 556/6. It is our first van, after upgrading from a tent. Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated. Enjoy the van and the car

Steve

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
This is another Lorraine! We also have the 2.2 diesal X-trail. It is a wonderful tug and just as great solo. We get 45mpg solo and 30 towing. We tow a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and don't notice it is there.

Can't recommend the X-trail too highly.
Hi i tow a magnum 534 1429kg no problems the thing i find better with the santa fe is it is wider than the other two which helps with my 7ft 6 width van an excellent tower use to have freelander no good

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts