Hyundai Santa FE

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Sorry if you've alredy read this post, i should have put it in this forum. I am about to take delivery of a new Elddis Crusader Superstorm which has a MIRO of 1616kg and a gross weight of 1900kg. I am therefore looking for a suitablr tow car and quite fancy a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7 V6 petrol whih has a kerbweight of 1756 kg and a recomended towing capacity of 2300kg.. Being an enforcement officer with the Department for Transport I am well aware of the towing regulations and the consequences of mis matched vehicle and trailer combinations, however I wonder if any of the forum readers have any experience of sutch a combination or should I be looking for a heavier vehicle.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Check out http://www.whattowcar.com/basic_index.php

Had a quick look myself. Seems as if your match would come in at about 110%. Not ideal I would have thought!!

Jul 7, 2006
Visit site
Stephen

You should be seeking a towing vehicle with a kerb weight of around 2200kgs to give an 85% match with your Elddis which has an MTPLM of 1900kgs. The MIRO is irrelevant. If you are an experienced tower you could go to a tow car of around 2000kgs but under no circumstances should the laden caravan be heavier than its' towing vehicle - this is very dangerous!

I have a new brochure for the new Santa Fe as I'm looking for a towing vehicle for my Elddis 524. The kerb weight for the 2.7V6 7 seater is shown as 1825kgs and 1780kgs for the 5 seater thus neither are suitable for your caravan. Try the Kia Sorrento or Toyota Landcruiser or, if you want petrol, a V6 New Discovery. John

May 27, 2006
Visit site
I (and many others ive sinse heard) have suffered from weak cluches fitted to SFs that have burnt out after about 11/12000 miles.

Later ones may of course have better clutches.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Stephen

You should be seeking a towing vehicle with a kerb weight of around 2200kgs to give an 85% match with your Elddis which has an MTPLM of 1900kgs. The MIRO is irrelevant. If you are an experienced tower you could go to a tow car of around 2000kgs but under no circumstances should the laden caravan be heavier than its' towing vehicle - this is very dangerous!

I have a new brochure for the new Santa Fe as I'm looking for a towing vehicle for my Elddis 524. The kerb weight for the 2.7V6 7 seater is shown as 1825kgs and 1780kgs for the 5 seater thus neither are suitable for your caravan. Try the Kia Sorrento or Toyota Landcruiser or, if you want petrol, a V6 New Discovery. John
John, the new Discovery 3 V6 is actually diesel not petrol!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen,

The others are right about the weight of your 'van versus the Santa Fe - too heavy! Regarding the clutch issue - this was put right by around the 04 models of the previous shape - I have had two of this shape with no issues whatsoever, I currently tow a Challenger 540 with one at 26-27 mpg and no issues. It's hard to find better value for money if you can get past the badge!

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Stephen,

The others are right about the weight of your 'van versus the Santa Fe - too heavy! Regarding the clutch issue - this was put right by around the 04 models of the previous shape - I have had two of this shape with no issues whatsoever, I currently tow a Challenger 540 with one at 26-27 mpg and no issues. It's hard to find better value for money if you can get past the badge!
Well i`m very happy to hear that the clutch problems have been taken care of. I`ll refrain from slanging the SF from now on because of it

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I (and many others ive sinse heard) have suffered from weak cluches fitted to SFs that have burnt out after about 11/12000 miles.

Later ones may of course have better clutches.
Before 04 the Santa Fe had a bimass flywheel which wouldn't take the strain of towing. At 20k miles I reported juddering to my dealer who replaced the flywheel and clutch under warranty. They also reprorrammed the engine to give it bottom torque it should have had. (They tweeked it down to try and save the clutches apparently.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts