Hyundai Sante Fe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are planning on buying a Pageant Vendee later in the year and are to upgrade our Tow care to a 4x4. Fuel consumption is a real concern. We are looking at the Santa Fe and wonderd if anyone had the average MPG when towing, as the Kia Sorrento looks a little thirsty. Help appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I tow 1288Kg and also have the 2.0 diesel & get very similar figures: about 27/28 towing and aroung 36/37 solo. It's a great towcar, very stable with plenty of low down torque. I've met other Sante owners towing vans & haven't heard anything negative yet. I agree about the interior trim though, but it's livable with & not too bad! Don't let this put you off, it's money well spent!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For my two penny worth, don't consider a 4x4. you get reduced fuel consumption all yr round for wanting to tow 10 days out of 365. WE have an MPV (VW Sharan) although there is lots of choice. Much more flexible in terms of use and solo MPG in mid 40's - its a diesel. 7 seats great for family trips, and with all seats out, load space is terrific.

Just watch your kerbweight, but a Sharan is heavier than a Freelander, and Touran is too. I have an Elddis Odyssey and towing stability is superb.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Caroline, we tow a Pageant Monarch (1208kg) with a 2 litre diesel Santa Fe. it's brillaint on road and also on soggy CLs. 38 solo and 29/30 towing. Look out for the clutch on them though. The car is guarunteed for 5 years but the clutch 15k miles. We've had no problmes at all but the more modern cars have a single mass clutch and slightly different engine codings which both give even better pull away and low speed pull, without I understand affecting mpg. The cars were originally targeted at the US with petrol engines and so the improvement with the diesel has been slower to come here. An excelelnt motor all round, and the air conditioning is excellent and quick.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are other 4x4's to consider, such as a volvo estate, subaru, passat etc etc you will find that the mpg will be far better, they will have high quality interiors and will drive superbly, most big 4x4's especially the koreans drive like loose knicker elastic!

TRENDING THREADS