Hyundai Tucson 4WD

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone towed with one of these. Had a look at one last weekend and it seemed OK.. Nose weight 75kgs MTW 1600 which would be fine for our Abbey Vogue 215. Seen lots of threads on the Santa Fe which seems to be a bigger version so wondered if the Tucson was up to the job

Gill

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
Hi

we have the Kia Sportage(Diesel), which I believe to be basically the same car as the Tuscon.

it tows great, we went from Scotland to South-West England this summer without a wobble - plenty of power when required and was not at all uncomfortable.

we only have a small 'van (Eriba) and I dont know how big an Abbey Vogue is, but I would be confident towing something bigger with it.

it is a basic 4x4 but who needs Diff Lock etc for towing? would def. recommend it.

Mark (",)

Apr 18, 2005
Visit site
Dear Mike & Gill

My mate has a Tucson and he thinks it is great as a towcar.

His model is a couple of years old and has the 2 litre 111 bhp engine. I believe that the current model is now 2 liter 140 bhp so should be even better. The Abbey weight should not be a problem as the Tucson kerb weight is approx 1640kg

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
looking at www.whattowcar.com, ASSUMING it's a 2ltr diesel Tuscon, they give the match 5 stars and say:

"The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 77%.

The towing performances of this Hyundai with your Abbey are perfect (performance index = 105 km/u or 65 mph).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable in all cases.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction."

have a look yourself in case I have picked any wrong options. Best of luck!

Mark (",)

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Mark, Had a look and generally it would seem to be the ideal vehicle especially the price which seemed favourable if I remember rightly. However what do they mean by the phrase "come along", my minds working overtime

Gill

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
ha ha, indeed!

if you are buying new from a Hyundai dealer then I would either push for a discount or get plenty of free stuff thrown in - we got towbar, electrics and dog gate free (as well as pre-reg discount) which Honda were unwilling to budge on.

the 5 year warranty is also very attractive, the only possible downside that I've heard with Hyundai's is poor fuel consumption and residuals - but it's all personal choice, isn't it?

Mark (",)

p.s. I'm getting approx. 35 mpg with the Sportage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts