I could have cried!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday I spent about 2 hours snow foaming and then washing down the car. I then dried the car and it look sparkling. This morning went out to the car and could have cried. All my hard work wasted. Car was even dirtier than before I washed it.

I took solace from the fact that every car in the neighbourhood looked the same. On arrival for my hospital appointment I noticed numerous other cars had suffered the same fate. A quick Google shows that the whole of the UK has been covered with this 'toxic" dust cloud from the Sahara. No matter if we were net zero carbon, we would still have a pollution problem!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dust clouds from the Sahara have been covering cars in the UK for years.
What's the betting that somehow the eco zealots will manage to blame 'man made climate change' this time?
😜🤪😜

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dust clouds from the Sahara have been covering cars in the UK for years.
What's the betting that somehow the eco zealots will manage to blame 'man made climate change' this time?
😜🤪😜
Just got back from lunch with friends and their car was filth; the cause? Man made dust from a house along the road having new roof membrane.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My current car is described by Volvo as "Platinum", kind of a brown/grey colour, it's brilliant at hiding the muck! The previous one was black and cleaning it always seemed pretty pointless!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why is it that whenever an opportunity arises there are “digs” at those who actually do think Climate Change is real and does require action across the board to try and mitigate its potential worst case effects. Just because I believe the science doesn’t make me a zealot.

Dust is dust, it blows between south America and Africa, and we tend to get it from the Sahara. It’s no big deal, except perhaps as the Sahel expands we may get even more of it.
Live with it there are some good points in its favour too.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why is it that whenever an opportunity arises there are “digs” at those who actually do think Climate Change is real and does require action across the board to try and mitigate its potential worst case effects. Just because I believe the science doesn’t make me a zealot.

Dust is dust, it blows between south America and Africa, and we tend to get it from the Sahara. It’s no big deal, except perhaps as the Sahel expands we may get even more of it.
Live with it there are some good points in its favour too.

If it were for real and not nature at work, then maybe? Maybe man is partly to blame, but Mother Nature is also at work so maybe a 50/50? By the way I do not recall anyone stating that you were a zealot. Are you? :sneaky:

Reactions: Jonny
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If it were for real and not nature at work, then maybe? Maybe man is partly to blame, but Mother Nature is also at work so maybe a 50/50? By the way I do not recall anyone stating that you were a zealot. Are you? :sneaky:
Dust has been blowing around the world for hundreds of thousands of years it is no big deal, and in the main is a well known natural phenomenon. Things mankind do can exacerbate it such as what happened in the USA in the 1930s but in the overall scale of things that was not that significant on a global scale. What isn’t so predictable is the impact that Climate Change might have on dust patterns, but it’s an effect not a cause.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Climate activists bring it upon themselves Clive.
It's almost impossible to watch a TV news bulletin or even a current affairs programme without the presenter managing to shoehorn climate change into it.
It's being rammed down our throats morning, noon and night.
There's little wonder that us sceptics kick back now and then.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My car and caravan windows were covered in the stuff this morning. Only gave them a real good clean yesterday. Waste of time😥

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Whilst I worked in Nigeria every year we had the "Harmattan dust", descend on us for 3 months. What we are getting here is nothing, you could hardly see further than 1/2 a mile at times.
I don't know where the "Toxic" bit comes from. But the dust certainly made a cold beer at the end of the day very welcoming.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whilst I worked in Nigeria every year we had the "Harmattan dust", descend on us for 3 months. What we are getting here is nothing, you could hardly see further than 1/2 a mile at times.
I don't know where the "Toxic" bit comes from. But the dust certainly made a cold beer at the end of the day very welcoming.
It could be "toxic" for people who suffer with asthma. Yep nothing like a BBQ and a cold beer or three to wash away the dust. I think we are both experts at the latter. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes take my new car to a car wash cannot reach the roof from my wheelchair it was lovely and shinning now covered with this dust .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Not complaining, but we haven't had the Sahara dust in my part of Staffordshire - mind you I had the car valet cleaned on Wednesday and by Thursday morning it was covered in bird poo.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Polished the car earlier this week then added two application of Autoglym shine protector. But the settled dust has just covered everything so hoping for some good rain when out.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Polished the car earlier this week then added two application of Autoglym shine protector. But the settled dust has just covered everything so hoping for some good rain when out.
Tried the Autoglym Polar Blast Snow foam, Polar wash shampoo and the Polar sealant. The snow foam was good, but not as good as the Bilt Hamber snow foam. Going to try the Bilt Hamber auto wash next time I wash the Jeep.

Unsure whether the Autoglym sealant stuff is that good? Autoglym window cleaner must be the best on the market when the sun is not too hot as I found out. LOL!

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Climate activists bring it upon themselves Clive.
It's almost impossible to watch a TV news bulletin or even a current affairs programme without the presenter managing to shoehorn climate change into it.
It's being rammed down our throats morning, noon and night.
There's little wonder that us sceptics kick back now and then.
But its just "news". Its like saying that the news or current affairs are always mentioning inflation. As sceptical as I may (or may not be) about inflation (or climate change) its having an impact on me and my life, no matter my opinion. "Kicking back" is an option, but it wont actually change the impact of inflation or Climate change...

Reactions: Jcloughie

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
But its just "news". Its like saying that the news or current affairs are always mentioning inflation. As sceptical as I may (or may not be) about inflation (or climate change) its having an impact on me and my life, no matter my opinion. "Kicking back" is an option, but it wont actually change the impact of inflation or Climate change...
As someone who doesn't unquestionably accept the 'news' that we're fed, I feel that there's an agenda at work here.
Follow the money.
'Kicking back ' is still an option that's open to me and to other like minded sceptics, so I'm going to use that option.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Yes, the acid in it burns through any wax protection and into the paintwork - so always best removed straight away.
2 years ago I rescued a 1964 Triumph 2000 from a barn in Hampshire. The owner described himself as a collector, but hoarder was more accurate, there were nearly 10 cars in there. One of the cars had sat in the same position for many years, under a roof beam where the pigeons nested. The constant dropping of pigeon mess on the roof had not only eaten through the paint but had rotted through the steel as well.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday we passed a hand car wash and the cars were queuing up on the road it was that busy. Never seen it that busy.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
So all this dust arriving from the Sahara just goes to reinforce the fact that air is constantly moving and that the so called clean air zones are nothing more than a cash cow for local councils.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So all this dust arriving from the Sahara just goes to reinforce the fact that air is constantly moving and that the so called clean air zones are nothing more than a cash cow for local councils.
That's totally incorrect as the dust comes in at high levels and was deposited by rain. Clean air zones address the pollutants emitted in towns and cities which are predominately discharged at lower levels such. Clean air zones may generate income (of sorts) for councils although some of the money goes to central government. Hopefully as more clean vehicles come in to service then perhaps EZ charges for cars can be dropped as air quality limits will be met. (hopefully) Bath has had a 25% reduction in pollutants since introducing the EZ and private cars of any type pay nothing. So what is not to like. You pay nothing and breathe cleaner air whilst wandering around the city. I have difficulty trying to understand why people are so against trying to clean up our air in cities and towns.

Reactions: Jcloughie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts