I could have cried!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ULEZ in London is here long term . As long as TFL remains in high debt, currently £1.6 billion ULEZ will remain. HMG recently stopped grants to TFL which coincided with the plans to extend ULEZ . I don’t believe any of the ULEZrevenue goes back to central HMG. Moreso paying off an ill conceived debt trying to make transport in London very cheap. The consequences of ULEZ good and bad are well documented and represent a balanced view imo.
Some of you will recall Ken Livingston’s tenure. Free London Transport. London Council taxes trebled causing great unrest. The rest is history.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ULEZ in London is here long term . As long as TFL remains in high debt, currently £1.6 billion ULEZ will remain. HMG recently stopped grants to TFL which coincided with the plans to extend ULEZ . I don’t believe any of the ULEZrevenue goes back to central HMG. Moreso paying off an ill conceived debt trying to make transport in London very cheap. The consequences of ULEZ good and bad are well documented and represent a balanced view imo.
Some of you will recall Ken Livingston’s tenure. Free London Transport. London Council taxes trebled causing great unrest. The rest is history.
Yes London differs from other LEZs. But nett revenue from ULEZ is used to fund transport and travel enhancements in the Mayoral area. It is estimated that by 2027 as cleaner vehicles predominate the nett revenue will reduce to near zero. So it is a moot point whether the costs of maintaining and operating the infrastructure outweigh the diminishing benefits to improving air quality. Wait and See; as you can hardly charge for entering a clean air zone that is at or below legal air quality levels. Although what you then do about the inevitable transgressor remains to be seen.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I probably need to give the car a good wash tomorrow as need to take it for an estimate on Monday for removing a scratch on driver's door thanks to some kind person with their supermarket trolley! :mad:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Yes London differs from other LEZs. But nett revenue from ULEZ is used to fund transport and travel enhancements in the Mayoral area. It is estimated that by 2027 as cleaner vehicles predominate the nett revenue will reduce to near zero. So it is a moot point whether the costs of maintaining and operating the infrastructure outweigh the diminishing benefits to improving air quality. Wait and See; as you can hardly charge for entering a clean air zone that is at or below legal air quality levels. Although what you then do about the inevitable transgressor remains to be seen.
We must expect the goal posts to move - it won't be long after Euro 7 becomes mandatory before politicians start considering moving the Euro requirement up so those (of us) with a Euro 6 diesel should accept that it will become non-compliant, just don't know when.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We must expect the goal posts to move - it won't be long after Euro 7 becomes mandatory before politicians start considering moving the Euro requirement up so those (of us) with a Euro 6 diesel should accept that it will become non-compliant, just don't know when.
We would simply avoid those areas and when businesses stop to close reducing tax revenue into the council coffers, they may have a rethink!

Reactions: Parksy and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We made a decision to move to petrol when our trusty Note diesel started to show its age. We bought a Rio petrol Then when the Superb diesel was sold we bought a Subaru Forester XT. It towed well but fuel consumption wasn’t great . But both cars allowed us to enter Bath, or Bristol clean air zones. After selling the caravan the Subaru went and now both cars can enter any clean air zone in UK.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We would simply avoid those areas and when businesses stop to close reducing tax revenue into the council coffers, they may have a rethink!
My own approach would also be to avoid such areas - having lived and worked in London I hate it with a vengeance and the only possible reason to go inside the M25 would be the trip every 10 years for my son to renew his US visa - he'd simply say he'd pay the charge for me.

I've no reason to go inside the Birmingham LEZ as all the hospitals are outside the Middle Ring Rd boundary - unless they copy London and extend the zone to the Outer Ring Rd !!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We made a decision to move to petrol when our trusty Note diesel started to show its age. We bought a Rio petrol Then when the Superb diesel was sold we bought a Subaru Forester XT. It towed well but fuel consumption wasn’t great . But both cars allowed us to enter Bath, or Bristol clean air zones. After selling the caravan the Subaru went and now both cars can enter any clean air zone in UK.
Both my cars are compliant everywhere - at the moment!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My own approach would also be to avoid such areas - having lived and worked in London I hate it with a vengeance and the only possible reason to go inside the M25 would be the trip every 10 years for my son to renew his US visa - he'd simply say he'd pay the charge for me.

I've no reason to go inside the Birmingham LEZ as all the hospitals are outside the Middle Ring Rd boundary - unless they copy London and extend the zone to the Outer Ring Rd !!
I worked in London for years . Hated the commuting every day. Sadly no work from home or the beach then.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts