I hate packing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
It can all be a challenge with just me and the dog. Setting up and packing up all seem to take a long time. At least with setting up I am anticipating being sat back with cider / beer in hand. Packing up just seems to be such an slow and torturous task with the pressure of checkout time looming. Everything just seems to take so much time and effort. I can guarantee, the second I drain the the aquaroll and disconnect the pump, I'll need water for something. Every time I pull out the EHU lead from the caravan it will be hard to pull out, finally comes free and I'll hit one of my fingers on a plastic edge. Everytime I think I'm ready to go, there's another job needs to be done. I often go "over time", but never had an owner or warden breathing down my neck. One would hope they give some lee-way if they can see you're on your own. There are some things I do to make life easier such as taking the awning down early if the weather forecast is bad the next day. Did a lot of "outside jobs" on Sunday evening so I didn't have to do them in the rain on Monday. I reckon pack up including awning probably takes a couple of hours.

I sometimes wonder if caravanning is worth all the effort. Of course I always arrive at the answer "yes", especically nights like Sunday when I was sat watching sunset over my firepit with a cider on the go with nothing to hear but the sounds of nature.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I find to "aid" my departure, the night before, I remove the wheel lock, the hitch lock and ensure my electric drill is fully charged ready for winding up the stays. Try to load as much as possible into the car, luckily Mrs H, does the inside of the van, breakfast is not the full blown FEB, just an Orange and Toast and eggs, but most of all take it steady and relaxed, and avoid the person who hasn't talked to you all weekend or week until you are emptying the Honey bucket, with their comment of , "Oh your leaving then"
And look forward to the next Trip away.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This past weekend although we were only leaving on the Tuesday due to heavy rain on the Monday and possibility of rain on Tuesday morning we opted to take down the awning on the Sunday evening so nothing outside on the Monday.

However on the Tuesday morning still took 2 hours to pack away everything and check everything ready to travel. Moved off the pitch and then stopped near the gate to use the toilet and then realised that we had forgotten to lower the satellite dish.

On our way to the CL I had forgotten to lower the stabiliser and there was a lot of creaking and outfit felt slightly twitchy. I stopped at the first services about 10 miles down the motorway and moved chairs to front of caravan. I looked at hitch, but it never twigged. Carried on and felt okay and not too twitchy. When we got to the site I then realised what i had forgotten to do.

Guess that is the problem when you do not go out often. You forget things that were second nature to you!

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
With the caravan in storage it is a bit of a pain. We usually take the clothing and a few other things to the caravan the day before if going for more than a couple of days. Luckily the storage is only a couple of miles away.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I find packing up a bit of a bind, OH is disabled so everything is down to me which I don't really mind as at least I have her company.
I think that if I was on my own that I would find it numbingly depressing.
I take my hat off to anyone with the strength of character to caravan alone.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m like Hutch, The day before we leave site, awning comes down,Assuming car will not be used to morning mirrors attached. Last thing in the evening the Wheel locks , Hitch lock and steady locks come off. Toilet cleaned and refuelled. Cistern left virtually empty. The idea is on the morning of departure there is very little to do other than wind up the steadies , hitch up, test hitch security and lights. Off you go unflustered.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I never take the awning down the day before as (to me) it feels like I'm ending the holiday early. We have a routine whereas on the day of departure id do the outside stuff, wife does inside. We start at 9.00am and are done by 10.30am. As we're fortunate enough to keep the caravan at home, if the awning is wet I just put it up on the caravan to dry when we're back home and the weather is fine. One of the advantage of an air awning is it's quite a bit quicker (for me) to put away than a poled version.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I never take the awning down the day before as (to me) it feels like I'm ending the holiday early. We have a routine whereas on the day of departure id do the outside stuff, wife does inside. We start at 9.00am and are done by 10.30am. As we're fortunate enough to keep the caravan at home, if the awning is wet I just put it up on the caravan to dry when we're back home and the weather is fine. One of the advantage of an air awning is it's quite a bit quicker (for me) to put away than a poled version.
Taking down the awning when it is drizzling or raining is not pleasant and we would never put a wet awning into a caravan.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Taking down the awning when it is drizzling or raining is not pleasant and we would never put a wet awning into a caravan.

Nor do I, it goes into it's bag and then into the car boot. There isn't enough payload allowance for a dry awning, never mind a wet one!

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I find setting up and packing up, since I lost my wife, takes forever.
When I'd finished outside I'd go into the van to a cup of tea, part of the break

Occasionally I set up alone if my wife is working and we're staying local (I go and set up then collect her in the evening). I view the setting up as part of the unwinding process rather than a race and actually enjoy the slow pace, similarly I pause for a cup of tea and take in the surrounding tranquility.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We are like some one else on here night before going home our porch awning always came down take the hitchlock and the wheel clamp off and aqua-roll mains water extension and put the towing mirrors on the car so it would be a easier getaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts