I like the new Forum...am I unique?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
:) I have been away for a couple of weeks and was quite surprised when I flashed up the iPod and received an email from PC. Even morse so when it notified me of a reply to an earlier post. Since returning home I have accessed the Forum and must say whoever did the work to update it has done an excellent job and really brought it up to date. eve the spelling checker works so no more excuses for bad spelling.

I appreciate that there will be teething problems and I am sure user feedback will get these sorted as they arise. But Bravo Zulu to this who have carried out this update.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The new platform is a vast improvement on the old one, and whilst still getting used to various parts I am very happy to have a fully functional system in place at long last.
Well done to all who have worked to bring this forum into the 21st Century., and Thank You.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would like to echo the posts above. I was waiting for a while before I commented to give time to let things settle down, and to be able to evaluate it more fairly.

Its still early days, but I have no doubt the new forum represents a major step forwards. The interface is certainly slicker and faster, we get far more information about replies and views, it all helps to to give confidence in the new forum. And at last a search facility and spell check that seems to work!

Little things like when making a reply, its only two click to get it posted and getting back to the thread, Options such as quick reply, etc do make it a far more comprehensive site.

Its still early days and I'm still discovering new features.

I do have a couple of observations:- The Categories page does seem cluttered, and I think it could be cleaned up by changing some of the spacings and font sizes. The LH column is wider than necessary, If it were reduced to just accommodate the the category title, and the smaller cased comments allowed to wrap, it would allow more space for the other columns. The Topics and replies information could be in a smaller font also allowing the columns to be reduced to maximise the space in the RH column so more of the title of the last post can be displayed.

On the actual posting and composing pages, I find the text uncomfortable to read, I suspect because its grey not black, can they be changed to black to maximise the contrast?

Overall well done Haymarket.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your posts – it is good to hear we're getting something right. We're constantly making changes to the forum and the website in response to your feedback and our own experiences, so we hope the only way is up!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Yaars don a goodun thar.....weeem thinkin yooose sowed a bramer crop for us bumpkins and yoose gonna hav a gud haarvest next yure and yures yonder.
Last yearsun was poor and thisun much better!

Thankee young uns! :silly:

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
Yaars don a goodun thar.....weeem thinkin yooose sowed a bramer crop for us bumpkins and yoose gonna hav a gud haarvest next yure and yures yonder.
Last yearsun was poor and thisun much better!

Thankee young uns! :silly:

I think Gafferbill's comment can be roughly translated as "Proper job!"

And so say all of us! Good work all at Haymarket, including our ever-helpful mods. Well done everyone concerned!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I am also in the thumbs up catagory for this forum. If anyone has forgotten quite how bad it used to be; have a look at the "Practical Motorhome" forum for a reminder.

Perhaps the Practical Motorhome forum ought to be migrated into this one. It one only need one more section really. I don't mind talking to Motorhomers (I used to be one :whistle: ).
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully agree. A vast improvement on the old side valve job we have endured for years.
let's hope more posters actively join this excellent forum.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your comments – it's great to hear you like the forum. And we really do take your feedback on board, both the good and the bad!

Massive thanks from me to our brilliant forum moderators who've been a great help and support. The new website and forum will be flagged up in the next edition of the magazine, so let's hope it brings more readers to this forum.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It's a pleasure to be in a position to help such a happy and committed team, thank you Lizzie :cheer:

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
:) I have been away for a couple of weeks and was quite surprised when I flashed up the iPod and received an email from PC. Even morse so when it notified me of a reply to an earlier post. Since returning home I have accessed the Forum and must say whoever did the work to update it has done an excellent job and really brought it up to date. eve the spelling checker works so no more excuses for bad spelling.

I appreciate that there will be teething problems and I am sure user feedback will get these sorted as they arise. But Bravo Zulu to this who have carried out this update.

Hi Clive. No you are not unique. Indeed I returned to the forum after a rather trying 12 weeks during Ms TTR had undergone a triple bypass that went a little pear shaped during the first 12 days of post operative recovery.
Indeed I responded to a rather damming assessment of the new site with this copied and pasted item:-
TheTravellingRooster
NOW ONLINE
Gold Boarder

Hi to you all out there. Back in AT LAST. There have been gremlins afoot.
I must say that the new look is really quite something and a whole load of new and rather long overdue features.
I am rather surprised that with the massive improvements that have been initiated that images still cannot be posted directly from our own PC's,or am I missing something.
Image hosting and the need to often downsize before attaching is a pain in the rear panel!!!!
I am going to look forward to getting my head around all of the new toys.
Is it any coincidence that the site has a very similar appearance to CaravanTalk & a couple of others on the internet. It clearly has a very openly laid out format and hopefully using it will be easy.
Ignorance, can be Bliss,It is No Defence & Certainly not an excuse,Stupidity can be expensive and when combined, they can be disastrous.

Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/general/48906-new-look-website-is-terrible?start=70#tVKRqIKi8t81DdMS.99

Indeed the new site is a revelation but there are clearly a few tweaks still needed. Hopefully it does not an excessive looking at and get screwed up like so many other sites have suffered.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Polite and constructive criticism and feedback about issues that may need attention are always welcome, no forum is ever the perfect finished article when it is first launched and we are confident that the entire website will continue to improve and evolve as time goes by.
With regard to pictures being uploaded directly from forum users own computers rather than via a picture hosting website, it could probably be done if you know how to create a url (a link) to the forum from your own documents using bb code. A picture hosting website provides an important extra layer of security and privacy for forum users, and making the url for each would possibly take longer than uploading your picture from a hosting website anyway.
We have absolutely no means of completely controlling who can access a public forum such as this is, although certain rigorous safeguards are in place.
There are some very cunning and determinedly unscrupulous people out there who make money from illegally retrieving information and data from computers, so do you really want to disable one extra security measure for the sake of a couple of minutes of your time now and again?
I dont! ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I concur with Mel, As most motorhome manufacturers are also caravan manufacturers or Vice Versa. We have far more in common than most people realise.

The construction techniques are virtually the same,
We both use the same OEM equipment i.e. Cookers, Heaters, Lights water pumps, fridges door locks, windows, Furnishings etc
We tend to use the holiday sites,
We both get blamed for holding up traffic (Though its usually lorries not caravans and motorhomes)
Both are probably the second biggest purchase we make after homes (and maybe cars)

So I vote we welcome sharing the forum. How do you vote?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Still liking the forum, but just a query: I may be being thick.
When I log on it says Welcome, Mel (how kind) and Last Visit Date: Today. (even when the previous visit to now was yesterday) On that basis is it not always going to say Last visit: Today. If so what is the point of it?

Still liking the forum.
I do have occasional attacks of Pedantry

mel.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
I Wonder if it would be possible to re-instate the time & day stamp rather than how many days that post has been on the forum ?... :(

Example of how it looks now :(

But if you use the search facility the posting date shows as shown here :eek:hmy:

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I like it......no problems signing in......easy to navigate.......all looks very professional and a massive improvement on the old antique forum. Well done all concerned.

TRENDING THREADS