I need longer arms.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Righty ho, we have some clever people on here, so thinking caps on please. Madam and I are both somewhat vertically challenged, and with our porch awning, we have two rear poles. These are the only things we cant reach. Madam has longer arms than I (short arms when in the pub, coupled with deep pockets is a godsend), however, even standing on the caravan step she is a few inches short of the pole tops. We have been carrying a two step ladder/steps, but they are heavy and it seems ridiculous to carry them just to do up some butterfly clips. Buying the two step Milenco would still not be near enough, shhe would have to stand on something ontop of that, but the two step Milenco isnt wide enough at the top step to safely stand something else on.

Any ideas chaps? The poles are for an Isabella, and if they were hinged at the neck the problem would be solved. However, because of the angle they sit at, attaching them to the rafter before hooking in doesnt work, I tried that and it fouls the side of the caravan. Height is the obvious answer, but how, without carrying the step ladder.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Let the air out of nearside tyre so van will be low enough to reach.
Then pump it back up.

Sorry thingy.....couldn't resist as I don't have a suitable remedy for you both🤭

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I changed my wing nut clamps on the Magnum's van side poles to their over centre cam thing, like in THIS.
[ I must have found a much cheaper source than this, you only need change the bolt and lever]

In my case I can normally "just" reach to flip them, shut or open.

So I think in that there may be your solution?
A 6" lanyard left on the eye hole would aid pulling them on, or at least enough down that a tent peg in hand could complete the job pushing the lever home.

Getting them off is easy, I flick them up with a tent peg end, if on sloping ground where the reach is a challenge too far for me.

Any mileage in that option?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
How about a pair of these.

😁

They would really, really appeal to that whole breed of caravanners that revel in collecting as much extra clobber as possible, it even seems some sort of rivalry thing.;)

Reactions: Thingy
May 21, 2021
Visit site
How about a long reach grabber as used by people who can’t bend over very well? Some of them are pretty sturdy and could perhaps be adapted to your use.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I should have said, the butterflies have been changed for camlocks. However, if they are wound on too tight, the clamp wont go over the pole, and if allowed to go over the pole its not simply a matter of flipping them. Its at the other end I need to concentrate, something lightweight to stand on. We do have a rigid stacking crate that we can use in the front box, its quite small and high enough, but would be as stated too wide for the two step milenco. And she wont let me take my Stanley Toolbox.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Steps stacked on "steps" and anything of that ilk, is simply an accident in waiting, there has to be safer alternatives.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Steps stacked on "steps" and anything of that ilk, is simply an accident in waiting, there has to be safer alternatives.

Couldnt agree more, hence my question. There has to be something out there unobtrusive, lightweight and safe.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I carry similar to these, makes putting up the awning and the front cover much easier.
4.9 kg ,folds reasonably flat and it makes a side table in the awning if needed.
This one would add 18.5 inches to your height.

Perhaps worth a look.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Good shout. Ill measure the old gal against the van and see if she can reach with that. Might look on ebay too for seventies clobber. Pair of 6 inch platforms and that step might do it.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Cracked it, the stepup will do the job. Anseos version at 470mm but Silverline do the same thing at 500mm. Not a big difference but its enough. Just done some creative measuring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts