I wish advertisers and magazines would get our priorities right.

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Is it me? I think I am Victor Meldrew's twin brother. Am I odd? I did discuss this with a couple of salesmen at the show last week. No, not me being odd, the issues of bed height and body length.
My perception of the majority motorhome buyer is a newly retired, pension just paid out, insurance policies just paid out, or big house just sold and small bungalow bought type of person with grey or no hair. Like me.
1) We will NOT climb a ladder to get into bed. OK we can now, but we are hoping the new motorhome will last us until we cannot climb a ladder to get into bed.
2) We may be thinking that we only need one vehicle, and it will have to be a compromise between a car and a holiday home. So if our one vehicle is to be a motorhome we need it to fit into a supermarket parking space, we need to park it at home on the drive, or we want to be able to park by the side of the road when we see a pretty cuckoo clock town in Germany, rather than have to drive to the out-of-town park-and-ride motorhome park. So we set ourselves a maximum length limit on what we want to look for.
So what do the magazines and advertisers do? They tell us everything we don't care about and ignore the length and whether it has a drop down bed. Except in the case of this month's magazine that ran a special and potentially very useful article on '8 coach built motorhomes under 6 metres with drop down beds'. Aha. Except that in no case do they tell us how low the drop down bed drops to. So we have to go phoning round the dealers to ask, or go to the show to find out. It turns out, just for those of you who want to know, that only two of the drop down beds go low enough to get into without a ladder. That is on the Roller Team and Chausson. Except that I now know of 3 occasions when the Roller Team bed could have lowered but it didn't. At a dealer, the salesman couldn't be bothered to show me it lowering - 'the battery needs charging'. Hmmm. Well plug the van in then if you want to sell it to me. I actually suspect that you know it is broken and you don't want me to know. (This is a brand new camper) The magazine journalist took one for an overnight test, and the bed refused to work. Hmmmm. He slept in the lounge bed. If you are going to do that, why buy a van with a drop down bed? At the NEC show, the salesman got the bed to move down about one foot and there it stopped. He tried several times but it would not lower more than a foot. 'It's stuck' he said. Well at least he was telling the truth. So of course I won't be buying that model. On the other hand the Chausson one at the show was going up and down all day, every day. And it went right down to the lounge seat bases.
Now, how can you write a 20 page magazine article whose specific job is to 'review sub-6 metre coachbuilts with lowering beds' without telling us how low the bed goes?

My other gripe is advertisers spouting fluff about the vehicle and not saying what the length is. Obviously the length is less important than telling us that it has an oven. Most dealers will tell you when you are looking at used vehicles 'and there is the oven, never used, obviously'. Why oh why is telling us that it has a device that most people don't use, more important than telling us the length? I used to send emails to the dealers expressing my desire to know the length and that I regard it as being more important than the colour of the upholstery but now I have given up. One of them couldn't even be bothered to measure the vehicle, or look it up, but replied to my email with 'we're not far away, come and see us'. He didn't think that knowing the length would be useful information. They are about 70 miles away. No I am not coming to see you.

I am pretty well convinced that 6 metres is the current preferred length, and that grey/no haired people don't want to climb up a ladder into bed. Either the salesmen at the show were being professionally polite, or they genuinely do agree with me, because when I asked them if that was correct they all said yes.
There was an absolutely GLORIOUS Hobby coachbuilt, at an ordinary price, and fabulously glittery and shiny inside and outside which made my legs go all wobbly. We went in, looked at the bed over what they call a 'garage',. sighed, and sat down. It needs a ladder because the bed is located over the pesky, next-to-useless garage. Oh no, we can't have this one. We sat down in the lounge area of the motorhome for a bit of a rest and within 3 minutes two other couples, with grey and no hair, poked their heads round the door, looked at the bed and said 'no, the bed is too high', and left. The garage has a funny shaped door which means you cannot get a scooter in it, and if you got a bike in, it would have to be a folding one. So for this 'garage' they have lost quite a few sales, I am pretty sure. I looked carefully to see if I could chop the bed out and lower it, but in discussing this with the salesman who discussed it with the factory team from Germany, the conclusion was no you can't because the bed needs re-inforcing beams built into the side and back walls. If you hacked it out and lowered it you would have nothing substantial to fix it to inside the walls. And of course the warranty would disappear faster than a politician showing his face at a flooded part of the countryside.
I don't BELEEEEEVE it!

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations for getting one of my gripes as well. I cannot believe that people want to sleep in a claustrophobic tent like thing which you get up via a ladder! What are you supposed to do when you wake up in the middle of the night, still pretty sloshed from the previous evening with the need to get rid of some of the aforementioned liquid refreshment?
I reckon I am still pretty fit but can feel I won't be getting down the stairs of my motorhome to the toilet during the night in a few years time. How people get down a ladder is beyond me.

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I ended up buying a used 2006 model Mobilvetta. It has a proper full size double bed at the back, over the apparently compulsory 'garage'. At least the bed is designed to go up and down (manually) and in its lowest position we can get in and out wthout using a ladder. They don't sell Mobilvettas any more in the UK so I have no idea what a new one costs, but looking at their Italian www they do look posh, with colour-changing LED lights in the shower. I will admit to being very impressed with mine - it has a double floor and 'double ceiling' over the wall cupboards, for all the wiring, and a fabulous combi boiler which blows hot air all over the place very quickly after turn on. The list of impressive things goes on and on, and I keep discovering new features. I am now LEDding it all over the place not only replacing the glow worm high current standard lights, but blinging it with strip LED lighting hidden behind opaque perspex strips. I have also figured out how to install strip LED day running lights under the headlamps. (It's a 2006 Fiat Ducato and there is a gap there which exactly matches some LED strip lights). So I can pretend I have a new camper, but at less than half the cost of a new one. And without the breaking-down computers. And without a Particulate Filter.

May 12, 2014
Visit site
My uncle had a similar one, and he too had the same problem of the bed being high. So he made a few changes by shifting a cabinet over the bed and got the bed to a lower level. Then extended the back ( the original garage space) so that he could fit a bike in it. He put a phantom screen in-between the bike and bed to prevent the dust from getting in. In addition, he replaced the windows and side screen with impact windows pompano beach, cause my aunt loves to watch birds and squirrels while sitting on the couch.
(Mod's Note: Not sure what to make of you Rose - your post seems to relate to the thread, but the story is strange, your e-mail address is in a completely different name, and your commercial link (which I've disabled) is for house windows, not motorhome ones. So are you a spammer or not? Tell you what, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt - post again, without any commercial links, and we'll make you welcome. - TJ)

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I understant your question is genuine, but so is my post.As for the id, its my mother's. She doesnt use it much, and I had made it for her to search for home-remodeling ideas and interact with people online.Also it was her idea to suggest the site here.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your explanation Rose - and for not going off in a huff when I doubted you!
We do get a lot of spammers on here, and most of them post in the small hours with links of dubious motorhome relevance.
I'm absolutely in awe of your uncle - I've done a bit of hacking-about of van interiors myself in the past, but only on very old, very simple, van conversions which I wanted to "improve" for my own purposes (and wasn't too bothered about resale values!).
Anyway, welcome to the Forum. Now we know you're for real I've "upgraded" you so you won't have to copy the "security squiggles" next time you post.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts