I would like some advice from Lutz (please)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Lutz. Hope you don't mind me asking you directly but I have great faith in your advice and knowledge.

We are about to go 'over to the other side' and have ordered a Motorhome for delivery in March 2011. We hope to tow our small runabout behind the new bus and would appreciate your personal and professional views in terms of using an A Frame (Tow A Car).

I would like to believe that a car coupled with an A frame with a connection to the car's brake pedal is classed as a 'braked trailer'.

My concerns are
1...About the efficiency of the towed car's braking system when the servo is inoperative.
2...The use of the setup when away from the UK.

The towing weight and the gross train weight for the motorhome would allow for the set up...It is the legalities that concern me.

Your views would be of great help.
Thank You.

Big Al.
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Please excuse my intrusion here.
Following on from the other post on this subject I'm guessing that Big Al may have the Car-A-Tow A Frame in mind. The issue regarding servo is answered on the web site http://www.caratow.com/home.php under 'product information'.
The issues we've had raised with this Car A Tow idea is that the cars bulkhead probably has to be drilled to fit the additional brake cable and as with some other A frames additional framework has to be fitted to the car being towed to take the A frame.

Penetrating the bulkhead and permanenty fitting an additional brake cable to the cars braking is not approved by car manufacturers and we assume that could be a 'Type Approval' issue as well .along with the framework that the A Frame attaches too.

If you have an accident whilst driving the car with a modification (A Frame brake cable permanently fitted to brakes) to the cars braking system where do you stand with insurers. Car A Tow also show a regular hooked bungy being used as brake pedal return back-up, not a brilliant feature
smiley-embarassed.gif

One other issue with A Frames that I forgot in the other section. This could be an 'Urban Myth' .but we heard a motorhomer story that a couple trailed their runabout using an A frame to Spain where the side window was broken the A Frame detached and with the ignition key in the ignition the car was driven off and the insurers wouldn't pay out as the ignition key was left in the lock.
An ignition keys needs to be left in the ignition to keep the steering lock free.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Al
please excuse a further interjection just to say there are still some issues as metioned above that need to be resolved however most of the arguements on legality are answered here; http://www.caratow.com/legal.php having extensively read the legistlations and seen it done first hand concur with the sprit of the article. however before proceeding do some research yourself be sure the car you want to tow is one you want to keep as the conversion isn't cheap and also consider that all the controversy can be avioded by using a small ligthweight cartransporter instead.
colin

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Colin
Car A Tow's legal slant still does't answer any questions or problems that could arise about modifying the car, type approval and insurance issues related to car alterations.
Braked lightweight car trailer is really the only safe legal options that we could come up. I'm just not in to trialling court 'test cases'
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.
My first instinct was towards a smallish trailer (well big and heavy enough to carry a SEAT Ibiza) but the combined weight would have exceeeded the towing weight of the motorhome. Also I have nowhere to store a trailer at home.
The modification of my SEAT to enable the Tow A Car frame to fit is also a concern in terms of warranty.

Cheers
Al
smiley-smile.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
Colin
Car A Tow's legal slant still does't answer any questions or problems that could arise about modifying the car, type approval and insurance issues related to car alterations.
hi, I did say that some issues still needed to be resolved the type approval could be one so could the statistics relating to the n-cap crash testing data. however the insuarance side of it should not be a problem if disclosed beforehand, providing you explain exactly what the car will be used for and any modifications done. if they accept it and take your money your covered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts