Ideal Home Show Menu

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
We felt right at home yesterday, first time back in Earls Court in 40 years. A day out with family to IHS, on the menu for lunch Roo Burgers.
How many of you Poms eat Kanagroo in your ideal homes? There was also Ostritch and Croc, we went to Wetherspoons.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We eat Kanga meet a couple of times a month.

I'm not too sure about Croc, I'd have to know where it came from before I tried it. It could even be fake.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
SpudDog57 said:
We felt right at home yesterday, first time back in Earls Court in 40 years. A day out with family to IHS, on the menu for lunch Roo Burgers.
How many of you Poms eat Kanagroo in your ideal homes? There was also Ostritch and Croc, we went to Wetherspoons.

I could eat the real thing such as a roo steak but Kanga Burgers wouldn't be on my ideal menu because they are artificial or re-constituted - not what they might seem to be at first glance.
Wethy's is always good for a pint and a bit of pub grub, the prices are ok too.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Unless you've started farm rearing Kangaroo's in the UK it's not likely to be fresh meat.
Ideal Home Show and Roo Burgers? We didn't get it, some of our UK rellies are Veggies, they definitely didn't get it at all.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You said you felt at home after 40 years back at Earls Court and roo burgers on the menu.

'Ideal Home Show and Roo Burgers? We didn't get it, some of our UK rellies are Veggies, they definitely didn't get it at all.'

What do you mean you didn't get it? Are you saying you don't understand why they were selling roo burgers at Earls Court?

We love kanga meat, really nice bbq'd. This country has been selling 'alternative' meats for a number of years now.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It does if you have a butcher in the family.
smiley-cool.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It would be difficult to identify what meat had been cooked at some of the barbies that I've been to. It almost always ends up as burnt offerings washed down with large volumes of alcoholic beverage. I bought a 2 burner gas barbecue last year and that cooks the food nicely without smoking everybody in the vicinity out or burning everything to a crisp.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kangeroos aren't butchered over here, they are shot under some sort of conservation licence.

Fillets are probably the best but they are a bit like rubber. The butcher makes his own burgers by dicing and mincing (as fine as possible, ultra fine blade, the meat), add finely diced onions, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, to every lb pound meat, 3g salt, 3g pepper, breadcrumbs, half the total weight of the meat add water but steadily. One raw egg per lb meat (to bind and retain its shape). This recipe should make 8 x 1/4 lb burgers. (If a 'beefy' flavour is required, add some type of beef stock cube, but NOT oxo.

Handy when you've got a butcher in the house, that's his own recipe.

My parents lived in Australia for a number of years.
Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
SpudDog57 said:
Recipe appears to be a typical bland Pommy or a Bing download.
Real bonzer Oz roo burger recipes have more flavour.
Strewth Spud Dog, you must have a ripper internet connection if you can taste Lisa's burgers from there
lol.gif

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Recipe appears to be a typical bland Pommy or a Bing download.

I guess by Bing download you mean I might have googled the recipe or something.
smiley-surprised.gif

The UK version might be bland, granted, but I'd rather have bland and reserved than something which might irritate.

No wonder my parents couldn't wait to get back to Blighty.
smiley-sealed.gif

Lisa

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
LMH said:
The UK version might be bland, granted, but I'd rather have bland and reserved than something which might irritate.
No wonder my parents couldn't wait to get back to Blighty.
smiley-sealed.gif

We've been told that Indian take away food out sells fish and chips in the UK. The ethnic diversity of the UK seems to have brought many other foods and flavours from what we have seen on our travels around your country. You would appear to be in the minority with bland LMH.
Many thousands of Poms still emigrate to Oz every year and most seem to make a good go of it and settle in well and make good friends.
Most of us love our parents dearly and tend to overlook their failings, may be hard living and work were not for yours LMH. I guess they could have just missed family and the UK way of life, and why not. We love the UK but wouldn't want to settle here.
Strange that they took to Roo burgers
smiley-smile.gif

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've been told that Indian take away food out sells fish and chips in the UK - so why say 'the recipe appears to be a typical bland pommy'?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately there appears to be one or two thinly veiled personal comments which could be regarded as abusive, inflammatory or insulting within this topic.
What people choose to eat is up to them, nobody has to justify what sort of flavours they prefer whether they are British or Australian.
Parents should not feature in this discussion because an unintentional slight has the potential to cause grave offence.
National characteristics or stereotypical references to them have no place on this forum and any future examples will be removed without further explanation.
A joke is a joke, both British and Austrailan citizens often subject each other to ribald but good natured comments but there seems to be a slight edge creeping in here and in other similar postings.
This forum is not going to be a platform from which to goad others so drop it now please.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Well I for one am surprised that LMHs parents failed to settle in Australia
smiley-surprised.gif

Having had my wifes Australian penfriend, and later her daughter (that's another story
smiley-embarassed.gif
), staying with us I can vouch that Australians are the most balanced people on Mother Earth. I concur with a Kiwi friend, they have a chip on BOTH shoulders .... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Well I for one am surprised that LMHs parents failed to settle in Australia
smiley-surprised.gif

Having had my wifes Australian penfriend, and later her daughter (that's another story
smiley-embarassed.gif
), staying with us I can vouch that Australians are the most balanced people on Mother Earth. I concur with a Kiwi friend, they have a chip on BOTH shoulders .... heh! heh! heh!
smiley-laughing.gif

My view concurs with yours and your Kiwi chums
smiley-laughing.gif

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Australia was just one of many countries they/we lived in, I came along after Australia. Never stopped in one place for too long due to my dad's career.
smiley-cool.gif

I'm not even classed as English anyway, got a NZ passport.
smiley-sealed.gif

Lisa

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Rivalry and gags and sledging between Aussies, Poms and Kiwi's has always been legend. Aussie's claim that our seagulls fly over NZ upside down and Kiwi's claim that there's do the same over Oz
smiley-smile.gif

Over a hundred thousand Poms have settled in Oz each year in recent times and I think in 2008 over 150000 arrived in seven months. Most modern day emigrants to Oz from the UK make the move for the better life style and quality of life rather than straight financial reasons of the old £10 Pom days.
If Aussies have a chip on each shoulder that includes a hell of a lot of Brit born folk.
Just telling it straight on those that don't stay. No shame in moving on.

LMH. I just thought as the evidence shows the British palate has become more diverse and educated that bland was no longer in.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
SpudDog57 said:
Most modern day emigrants to Oz from the UK make the move for the better life style and quality of life rather than straight financial reasons of the old £10 Pom days.

That bit is open to conjecture Spud.
OK, people do emigrate and make a go of it but it's not all one way traffic.
Friends of ours went out in 69 on the £10 ticket. They built up a business, had family and would never return except to visit like they did last year. Some more friends travelled overland in the hippy days and lived there until they got divorced 10 years ago. They are now both back here living. My cousin and her hubby lasted one year.
As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. That is until you get there and in Oz's situation it's burnt scrub
smiley-surprised.gif

I'm a realist. The 40c+ temperatures would crease me. I can also do without the cyclones and bush fires and that's not mentioning sharing the country with the worlds most poisonous creatures of all sizes and environments. My wifes pen friend who I mentioned in another post has an Australian mother and a Maori father but she even hates the heat. Her daughter said that if it wasn't for family she would be here living like tens of thousands of other Aussies so Old Blighty can't be all that bad despite the previous government doing their best to eradicate our culture. In Blighty we do love to moan about the weather but what we don't have is extremes.
It's a good job we don't all like the same
smiley-wink.gif

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
I think not Lord. Regular surveys of Brit and other immigrants give quality of life style and living as the main reason for the move and for staying. A lot of Brits move to Spain and other countries and return when older, that is often down to family ties.
We followed the BBC morning program about Brits considering the move to Oz and NZ this year and last. Better life style and quality of life always seems to be the main reason given.
Aussie born and bred the heat is not an issue for us. A bit of a pain at times but we worked and had a very different life style to workers in northern Europe.
After all, if all the Brits who have emigrated to Oz in the past fifty years upped and left for the UK. We'd be pretty empty and the UK would sink under the weight.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
SpudDog57 said:
Lord Braykewynde said:
I think not Lord. Regular surveys of Brit and other immigrants give quality of life style and living as the main reason for the move and for staying. A lot of Brits move to Spain and other countries and return when older, that is often down to family ties.
We followed the BBC morning program about Brits considering the move to Oz and NZ this year and last. Better life style and quality of life always seems to be the main reason given.
Aussie born and bred the heat is not an issue for us. A bit of a pain at times but we worked and had a very different life style to workers in northern Europe.
After all, if all the Brits who have emigrated to Oz in the past fifty years upped and left for the UK. We'd be pretty empty and the UK would sink under the weight.
I "think not" could also apply to your post too Spud.
"Surveys" like you mention are a waste of time, they are asking the converted! which makes it a loaded questionnaire!
People from these shores have been immigrating to the four corners of the globe for centuries, in the hope of "a better quality of life" Whatever that is actually meant to mean!
But if you have good family and good friends to start with, then life cannot give you "better quality" wherever home may be!!!!
So maybe that says more about the short comings of those that immigrate for any other reason than work?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts