If you cant beat 'em...

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Well, it might be a terrible thing to admit, but after 45 years of frustration, stuck behind caravans, I am tempted to buy one.

Since retiring, I have taken up bass lure fishing. This is often undertaken very early in the morning or late into the night, and a good drive from home. Returning from a long weekend in Cornwall, we nipped past a car towing a very stylish Basecamp 2. Bizarrely for me, I really liked the look of it. I also felt a pang of guilt thinking about swmbo, who had huddled in our tent with a book, sheltering from the typically Cornish liquid sunshine, while I was out on the coast fishing. She could have been so much more comfortable. These emotions triggered a light bulb moment for me. So here I am.

Conscious that I have a lot to learn, I hope that you will forgive me my past prejudices and allow me to come over to the dark side to share from your experience and wisdom ;)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Van Fisher.
A well matched car / caravan outfit should be able to maintain motorway speed limits (60mph is the national speed limit for towing vehicles, 50 mph on single carriageway unrestricted roads).
Having regularly experienced the aforementioned liquid sunshine, comfort levels offered in a modern caravan are light years away from tent camping.
There's plenty of sound advice on offer here, enjoy your search for a tin tent.

Reactions: Van Fisher
Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
It's ok you can shift those prejudices to 2 and 3 abreast cyclists

If you do decide to get a caravan I'd get a proper un. Those basecamps are easy to tow and do look a bit different but there's not much space in them. If the weather is unkind, which has been known, you would appreciate a bit more space.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Hi Van Fisher, Its taken me 40 years for the penny to drop, 25 years ago when the kids were young we used to camp with a tent in France, then , I think after having to dismantle and pack a wet tent, future years were spent hiring a static....25 years on when grand kids are young and my kids raving about the holidays they used to have, the only logical thing was to get a caravan :) we have our first outing tomorrow, then off to France the following weekend and new year booked at a site in the lake district. As I work from home, as long as there is a half decent internet we could take off anywhere, and plan to travel more next year.
I think the perception of caravans creating traffic jams is a 80's /90's thing, these days cars have so much more torque towing is much easier.

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Hi Van Fisher, Its taken me 40 years for the penny to drop, 25 years ago when the kids were young we used to camp with a tent in France, then , I think after having to dismantle and pack a wet tent, future years were spent hiring a static....25 years on when grand kids are young and my kids raving about the holidays they used to have, the only logical thing was to get a caravan :) we have our first outing tomorrow, then off to France the following weekend and new year booked at a site in the lake district. As I work from home, as long as there is a half decent internet we could take off anywhere, and plan to travel more next year.
I think the perception of caravans creating traffic jams is a 80's /90's thing, these days cars have so much more torque towing is much easier.
Hi UKdave, Sounds like you are ahead of me on a similar journey. We also used to take the kids camping to France back in the day, and come back laden with cheap wine, :LOL:.
France will be a likely destination for us too, making use of the aires for stopovers en--route. Being retired, I have half an idea of crossing the channel and just keeping going, conscious of the Schengen rules of course. I am also more laidback about being stuck behind traffic these days, not having to meet the schedules once imposed on me.
Working from your caravan is a great idea too, become a true digital nomad!
Bon voyages tomorrow, next weekend and beyond!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ukdave2002
Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
It's ok you can shift those prejudices to 2 and 3 abreast cyclists

If you do decide to get a caravan I'd get a proper un. Those basecamps are easy to tow and do look a bit different but there's not much space in them. If the weather is unkind, which has been known, you would appreciate a bit more space.
The cyclists won't bother me at all. I have a snow blower attachment ready to fit to my car.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and Seblo
Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Van Fisher.
A well matched car / caravan outfit should be able to maintain motorway speed limits (60mph is the national speed limit for towing vehicles, 50 mph on single carriageway unrestricted roads).
Having regularly experienced the aforementioned liquid sunshine, comfort levels offered in a modern caravan are light years away from tent camping.
There's plenty of sound advice on offer here, enjoy your search for a tin tent.
Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to chatting and learning on here and preparing for the more luxurious adventures to come :)

Reactions: Parksy
Jun 30, 2022
Visit site
The cyclists won't bother me at all. I have a snow blower attachment ready to fit to my car.

I'm reading "snow blower" but thinking "snow plough"

Those basecamps are just hyped / marketed small caravans. I doubt you'd be happy with it after the initial newness period has worn off. Go for something a bit bigger that you can chill in when need be. You won't regret it and your better half will thank you

Aug 3, 2023
Visit site
I'm reading "snow blower" but thinking "snow plough"

Those basecamps are just hyped / marketed small caravans. I doubt you'd be happy with it after the initial newness period has worn off. Go for something a bit bigger that you can chill in when need be. You won't regret it and your better half will thank you
Thanks for your point about size. Worth considering.
I know its just a leaf blower, but still effective on smaller cyclists, and no messy evidence :)

• Wow
Reactions: Seblo

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Many caravanners started off in tents and naturally progressed to the comfort of a van. I am a big fan of small caravans and Base camps offer one way of enjoying a caravan, but don’t write off more conventional styles.
Suggest you and your OH have a day out at various large caravan dealerships getting in and out of all sorts of different vans and really find out what suits you best. Don’t buy until you are sure that you have explored every layout, and then shop around for the best deal.
Enjoy
Mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum Van Fisher we started of in tents then on to camping trailer and then brought a caravan .
So if you like small caravans like the Base camp go and have a look and see which model would suit you and you might be able to get used one . i am also a angler myself still like a bit of sea fishing .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I must admit to liking the style of the base camp although I am afraid we have got used to a bit more luxury these days. It is however a lot more luxurious than the average tent and if it suits you then go ahead.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts