I'm a Virgin!

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Just turned 40 last month and now want to try out the whole motorhome thing. I dont want to spend too much at first. Been reading practical motorhome magazine which i find really helpful. Does anyone have any advice, or recommendations about what to try first. I do need a 6 berth. I have seen a few on various sites and from motor dealers. I'm particularly looking at one just now from Becks Motor Homes... anyway, as I say, any and all advice from you seasoned experts will be great... cheers. Craig

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Craig, and welcome.
Obviously I dopn't know your dertailed needs, but here are some general tips which apply to all of us.
From your reading of PMH (and maybe even other mags!
smiley-smile.gif
), and your knowledge of your own travelling companions, you need to draw up a list of features your van MUST have, and those you'd quite like if possible. Then as you go round dealers etc, be single-minded in rejecting anything which doesn't have all your "musts" - however attractive it may be!
If that leaves you with no options at all, ONLY THEN look again at your list and downgrade some of the "musts" to "prefers!"
You don't mention whether your six berths include one for a wife or girlfriend, but if so make sure she is involved when you draw up that list, because you both need to "own" it. Otherwise you'll end up arguing in front of the dealer about whether that payload really IS essential, or whether it can be sacrificed because this van has just the right colour upholstery.
And before anyone accuses me of sexism for that, it's purely that it's Craig who's asked the question. If his partner (M or F - no homophobia either!) had posted, I'd be urging THEM not to be sidetracked by CRAIG'S taste in decor!
smiley-laughing.gif

Once you're pretty sure you've seen your dream motorhome, haggle about the price on the windscreen first, THEN about any part-exchange (I know it's your first van, but some people trade in their second car). FINALLY, start specifying any extras, and additional work you want done before delivery. Directing the negotiation in that order ensures you know exactly what you're paying (and receiving) for what, as it stops the salesperson from offsetting one thing against another.
That last paragraph sounds rather cynical. In fact, most of the salespeople you'll meet will be keen to look after you. But they have to turn a profit, and you want to be sure you only contribute your fair share to that.
I'm sure I'll think of some more tips, but meanwhile I'm also sure that others on here will have some good ideas for you too.
Whatever you buy, enjoy your new lifestyle!

pkc

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Craig,
Further to the good advice from Tony make sure the van has 6 belted seats, many so called 6 berth vans do not, also an awning would be a really useful thing to have, 6 people can sleep in a van OK but when the weather is poor and mum is trying to cook lunch you can get to strangulation point fairly quickly!
Something like this(I used to ownone ) could be worth a look.
http://www.discover.co.uk/motorhomes/Used_search/ROLLERTEAM_AUTOROLLER%205_51710.html#

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Just thought of another one - I only mentioned "payload" in passing, but it's a real issue with large coachbuilt vans.
Using a lighter-weighted version of the base vehicle enables the converter to keep the final price down, and ensures the van can be driven by (e.g.) older drivers who may be restricted to 3500kg, but this often results in a tiny payload, which is inevitably exceeded once six people are on board with their personal effects, before you start carrying any kit for hobbies etc - or even filling the water tank!
Driving an overweight vehicle isn't just an offence, it invalidates your insurance.
Unfortunately, converters define "payload" in all sorts of different ways. In arriving at the figure they quote, they may, or may not, not have allowed for the likely weight of:
full set of passengers;
water, fuel and gas supplies;
fitted accessories;
- and various other things.
So what looks like a healthy payload figure can be effectively wiped out.
Get the salesperson to tell you (if he/she knows) how the payload figure is arrived at, and if in doubt ask for it to be weighed "empty" so you can work out for yourself what (and who!) you can carry.

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for the tips. I have been reading about payload (on this site actually) so will definitely be aware of that.

I like the autoquest vans actually. They have good article in January issue of PMH. And, have recalculated the berths; 4 will be fine for a first van. Keep it a year or two, then probably upgrade.

Thanks for the link...i've seen a few of the rollerteams advertised. Also seem good motorhomes. The variety, make, models, options is bewildering, so i'm currently making my MUST list and Desirable list and will stick to it. I guess only by buying my first van and doing the whole motorhome thing, will i learn. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Oh yes, and I have to like the interior lol :)

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Stage 1
Once you have decided on your list of "must haves" & "would likes", print out a plenty of copies. Don't forget to include an entry for available Payload, MAM, Length, Height & Width.
Stage 2 -
Attend a Show (NEC - February 22nd to 27th or Peterborough - April 15th to 17th) - but Peterborough for Used Vans on show.
Look at as many Vans with the No. of Berths you want, as possible and tick off the items on your lists, but also make a note of anything you didn't like. Otherwise you will leave the Show more confused than when you arrived & will have difficulty recollecting which Van has What !!
Stage 3
This should give you the opportunity to whittle down you list to maybe 3 or 4 preferred Motorhomes.
Stage 4
Hire a Motorhome for a week & see how your selected layout works in reality. You will find some things are not as practical as you envisaged.
Stage 5
Re-visit your "must haves" & "would likes" after your Hire experience.
Stage 6
Start your search for your revised selection. But DON'T jump in for the 1st Motorhome that meets your selection. Allocate a weekend where you can view a few.
Stage 7
Negotiate, Negotiate, Negotiate the price or add-ons.
Get the Dealer to include Gas Bottles, Electric Hook-up Cable, Water Hose, etc.. Make sure the Tyres are within the 5 years date (they will/should have plenty of tread, but they also degrate with age in the sun.
Oh & that a Spare Wheel is supplied.
Stage 8
Once a purchase is agreed, then comes the "Hand-over", with no or little previous experience some people have found it useful for one listening to the Techy whilst the other records the handover on video. You will NOT remember all that the Handover Techy tells you.
Stage 9
Get out in the Motorhome & enjoy it.

Good luck with your search

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
scotcheggs said:
I like the autoquest vans actually. They have good article in January issue of PMH. And, have recalculated the berths; 4 will be fine for a first van. Keep it a year or two, then probably upgrade.

Thanks for the link...i've seen a few of the rollerteams advertised. Also seem good motorhomes.
Hi Scotheggs
If you want some comparisons to the Elddis Autoquest range, have a look at the Trigano Tribute produced by Autotrail (and similar to the Rollerteam Auto Roller range also part of the Trigano Group but produced in Europe) or the Swift Escape range
Looking at the Tribute will also enable you to compare the Fiat Ducato & Ford Transit bases for your preferances or dislikes.
http://www.tributemotorhomes.co.uk/index.php/
http://www.swiftleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/escape/escape-range
Also look out for Dealer “specials” on the Elddis & Swift motorhomes, as they generally include some nice to have options fitted. (from Lowdhams, Marquis, Brownhills)
Flicka

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
A big thanks to you all. I have bought an eldiss autoquest. Great nick, Great van, with power steering which i have learned is quite rare for a 1992 model. However, i'm pleased with it... only thing is....... i am getting mad quotes for insurance... i'm talking £1500 and up! What's that all about. I have 9+ years no claims, albeit on my own car, one claim last january 2010, for someone kind soul who pranged my car and never left any details while it was parked on the street... anyone of you guys got tips or suggestions for good insurance... tried the caravan club to no joy! also the usual comparison sites.... :-(((((

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
well you're way too young for Saga,
but you could try Comfort Insurance - they seem to get a lot of positive responses tho I was not impressed
adrain flux, safeguard,
we used to use MCIA - always found them helpful, before we qualified for Saga
smiley-embarassed.gif

it may be worth joining either the Caravan Club or Camping & Caravanning Club - they can provide a discounted quote

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Sound advice to join the CC then get quote! We are insured with CC and fined them cheaper than anyone else we have asked. I f you live in Cornwall you could try CMA in Truro. PROBLEM: You need to insure your house as well!

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
hi, we have a kontiki swift 1994 6 berth motorhome. We are novice motorhome ownwers and are looking for someone who would be willing to come and help us set up all of the systems involved in getting up and running.,eg. the water, heating etc. Due to business comitments it has been sitting on our driveway for 12 months. We are realy keen to get it up and running for this spring/summer. We are located in a village 6 miles out of Lincoln. kind regards Clive and Jean Mellars

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi Clive & Jean
If the Motorhome has been out of use for 12 months, I would recommend you have a Habitation Check & Mechamical Service.
It's also probable that the Handbrake will have siezed and you may have difficulty moving it. Also your Batteries could have suffered.
The benefit of a Habitation Check will confirm Gas, Electric & Water systems are operating correctly & a Damp Check.
The technician/engineer should be able to explain all your equipments' operation to you.
Not sure of your location N?S?E?W? of Lincoln, but http://www.countrysidemotorhomes.com/
Holton-cum-Beckering LN8 5NG.(3 miles from Wragby off the main A158 Lincoln to Skegness)
or
http://www.couplandscaravans.co.uk/service_and_repairs.html
Louth, LN11 0YZ
or
http://www.camperuk.co.uk/
North Hykeham, LN6 3QY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts