In Car Navigation

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just a word to those like me who get lost easily. I have just purchased a TomtomGO sat/nav for the car and its GREAT. Its a small, self contained unit which fits on its mount attached to the windscreen, or dash, and gives visual route directions and voice directions, and it gets you where you WANT to be. There is also a FREE downloadable speed camera database, and when you approach a speed camera, it warns you via your chosen sound.

Very easy to set up, just put in the included SD card, switch on,,,and GO.

Well worth a look, and if you decide to buy, buy on line, mine was £433 as opposed to £499 from a local electronics store.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, yes, I found the cheaper one as well, after buying mine,, on ebuyer i think, but never mind, i am very happy with mine.

There is no monthly fee, it comes with the UK maps and European Maps and saves having to thumb through maps, changing pages, trying to read maps in the dark etc.

There are free updates and free downloads for it, including speed camera locations, and with a fine and 3 points per catch, it it worth it.

BTW I have never been fined for speeding, but its still worth knowing when you near one of the Governments hidden tax machines.

It will take you to within 5 mtrs of your chosen destination, and if there is a traffic jam, will find an alternative route avoiding it.

Mar 29, 2004
Visit site
The Garmin IQUE3600 is a better unit and you can slip it in your pocket and navigate on foot around towns and its a powerfull PDA as well for the same sort of money

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After going to Dortmund in Germany where they seem to have no roundabouts and getting lost towing a 21ft caravan is hell. I purchased a Navman navigation system for my husband, they start for around

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello all, Yes arn't GPS units great, until for some reason it stalls in mid journey, or in a busy city where you are relying on it to get you round the one way system! I always find it is beneficial to check on a conventional map before the journey so I have a good idea of where I am actually going. PS has any one else tried to find North Street in SoT. only to be directed by the GPS to the north end which is no entry?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The sat nav is only as good as the person using it. You still have to apply common sense and obey road signs. We live at the top of a very narrow very steep winding hill which we have discovered is included on Sat Nav routes.Drivers of large vehicles(big lorries) approach from the easy side and then try to descend the steep twisting bit in spite of two signs warning "UNSUITABLE FOR HEAVY GOODS VEHICLES"On one occasion a lorry brought the power lines down and on every occasion they have had to reverse causing lengthy hold ups and damage to property.We have the excellent Panasonic and that tells us to go down Peggys Bank (it doesn't know we are towing).You do have to use it in conjunction with a map as John L says and I always run maps off Autoroute as well as having a road atlas in the car.The Sat Nav is a wonderful tool but as the saying goes a good workman does not blame his tools!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts