in-line fuse (15a) blowing when braking...

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

My in-line fuse for the car's towing electrics is blowing when I brake. I've tested it out on a trailer and don't have any problems, so I'm assuming it's a problem with the caravan.

I'm off to check out the 12N socket tonight to see if anything is lose.

Does anyone have any other ideas what might be tripping the fuse?

Could it be a stop light on the van that has failed? I would expect it to trip a fuse on a car, but I'm new to caravans.

Another suggestion I've heard is water ingress on thelamp cluster - I'll check that too.

Any ideas or shared experiences will be greatly received!

You never know, we might even get out in this van one day...;-)

Gary H

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
Gary-you've obviously got an earth somewhere.Water in the cluster could be a possibility, as could corrosion, or,perhaps the red wire from No.6 pin inside your 'vans 12N plug may have pulled out and came in contact with the white earth wire on pin 3.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the advice Eddie.

I went up last night and took the plugs apart on the caravan. They looked a bit rusty on the grub screws that secure the wires but the wires were all secure.

I checked the lamp clusters, they were fine and all the bulbs were good too.

After all that, I hooked it up to the car and it worked fine! Braking and anything I else tried. Not quite sure what I did but at least it's working now. I may go out and buy two new plugs to be safe, as the grub screws were so corroded I doubt I could release the wires now. I'll just cut them off and re-wire in to the new plugs.

Cheers,

Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts