In line pumps

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Has any one put together a water supply to their caravan using a whale in line pump rather than the usual submersible? Am I right in thinking the in line pump is not actually in the water container? I want to access a large water container in the back of the tow vehicle and find the usual pump connector too short to do the job. Also even the larger jerry can type containers do not have large enough outlet to let a submersible pump through. Would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Helen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anthony, I installed a Shurflow in line pump in my van and it works just great. The pump has a built in pressure switch so you can set that to the pressure you need in the system. It was simple to install, if you need any info post me your email address.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Anthony, I installed a Shurflow in line pump in my van and it works just great. The pump has a built in pressure switch so you can set that to the pressure you need in the system. It was simple to install, if you need any info post me your email address.
PS. Another advantage with the Shurflow is that it is not harmed by running dry

Clive

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Clive -thanks for the reply, Is the shurflo actually inside your van then? I was looking to make a connection to the existing (I assume) Carver socket on the exterior of the caravan.

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Any more advice on the pump is welcome thanks -hjhnes@toucansurf.com

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
On the 2006 Bailey Senator there is a Whale inlet on the side and this could be used via levers either to fill the tank or be connected to the taps through the inboard pump which is the set up you require I think.

You just need to take the pipe from the inlet socket to the inboard pump and then to the taps.

Some people find the noise of the inboard pumps unpleasant

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi John

I haven't explained what I want to do very well. I want to make an assembly like the crystal submersible pump set up, but with an in line pump on a long hose and fix it into the carver socket on the outside of the van, so nothing would actually change inside the caravan. The thing is to use a much larger container of water from inside the tow vehicle.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi VJ

I can't see why in that case you can't have a submersible pump in the larger container unless you have a source of container with an unusually narrow neck.

Do you have the original Crystal fitting with the permanently fixed pipe /pump?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The twin tube could be replaced with a longer water pipe and the cable could be lengthened and sealed with waterproof tape /silicone etc.

Many replacement pumps come with a longer lead and are quite slim too

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The twin tube could be replaced with a longer water pipe and the cable could be lengthened and sealed with waterproof tape /silicone etc.

Many replacement pumps come with a longer lead and are quite slim too
http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=6334

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Thanks John

I will start collecting the bits and pieces - both the wife and I have back problems and find the water carrying a bit tough so I hope this adaptation leads to an easier time on stops where there isn't a fully serviced pitch or indeed any water at all!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Anthony.

There are several manufactueres that make an inline pump as you describe, however the majority of these cyclindrical type pumps use the same type of impeller that are used in the submersible pumps.

There are two possible drawbacks to your idea, the first is that the impeller needs to be primed with water to work. If air has got into the pump, then it will not create enough suction to pull the water up the pipe.

The second is that the majority of submersible pumps rely on the water in the barrel to cool the pump motorthrough the pump casing. An inline pump may be derated so it doesen't over heat when in extended use.

The shure flow pump and similar types use a diaphram which can suck the water up from quite a depth so they are self priming. The motors tend to be bigger which are down rated so they do not need additional cooling.

I hope this is usefull information

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
John L - thanks for the advice. I think then that extending the length of the present water feed and 12v connection will probably be best so I can drop a submersible into the water container in the usual way, but at a greater distance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts