Indicators only work for a while...

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, I've got a 2008 Citroen C-Crosser (Mitsu Outlander) with a loom-specific 13-pin wiring kit. My 'van is a 1999 Abbey Spectrum 520 so I have a 13 to 2x7 pin adapter for the harness.

Seems to be the case that the indicators will work fine until somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes into a drive. After that there are no indications on the dash, and no indicators work. If I unplug the caravan the car is back to normal and working fine. With hazards on, the 'van's left hand indicator works, but not on indicator function.

I've had the bulb out and cleaned the contacts, everything else seems to be okay but these.

Anything else I could check? The 12N plug, car harness and adapter are all new.

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the circumstances that would allow the left indicator to work as a hazard light, but not as an indicator...

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Are you able to check the earth continuity through the plugs and lead and in the car? Intermittent problems can sometimes be with the earth. Do check the pins on the plugs - widen any that have become squashed together (gently with a flat blade screwdriver). Working for a while and then stopping suggests something loose rather than missing! Good luck!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I use one of these connectors for my car to my house trailer , not the caravan , house trailer , the one I use for the rubbish and sometimes if the indicators don't work try squirting some "lubricant" (notice I said lubricant) and not WD-4o into the plug to clear the terminal, may just be a bit of crap or dust , they normaly work after that but my trailer board is about 1o year old !!

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Have you prised open the caravan 12n and 12s connectors to check the condition of the wiring - the wire is prone to rust and contamination etc - give both a good clean with water displacement retighten all screws on the connectors and retest

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys,
The 12N and 12S plugs on the caravan side are around a year old. The originals were quite knackered. I will however strip them down and see what I can find. Towing my brother-in-law's trailer using the same 13-pin adapter seemed to work just fine for the duration so I guess that narrows the problem down to somewhere between the 12N and the tail-lights on the caravan...

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
RyanArthur said:
Thanks guys,
The 12N and 12S plugs on the caravan side are around a year old. The originals were quite knackered. I will however strip them down and see what I can find. Towing my brother-in-law's trailer using the same 13-pin adapter seemed to work just fine for the duration so I guess that narrows the problem down to somewhere between the 12N and the tail-lights on the caravan...
Following Audiorobs advice you just told us. A poor earth somewhere. Good luck tracking it down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts