Inet options advice

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Hi folks
Looking to get inet in the caravan so my wife can work from home. During the day and so we can watch tv streaming etc. The location of the caravan limits our availability to O2 or Vodafone possibly some of the other providers that piggyback onto them, and unfortunately only 4G .
So for all the tech experts what’s our best option in terms of hardware. Dongles routers and would a booster help??
Willing to pay for unlimited data but at this stage not willing to pay for starlink!
Thanks

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, but to a degree your mail does not make sense.
Are you saying that your wife wants to use the caravan as an office at home, or are you saying that your wife's employer will allow her to work from home and you want the option to allow her to work in the caravan when you are away so that her employer thinks she is at home - and don't think for a minute that I am implying that she is 'on the fiddle' which I am most definitely not. I guess the latter given the reference to streaming in the evening.
If it is the latter then you need to have a look on the OfCom pages for the signal coverage maps of the four SPs. In many places Vodafone and O2 share distribution hence if you can't get one you won't get the other: the same applies to 3 and BT/EE. I don't understand your comment about 'only 4G.' 4G is more than fast enough for almost any form of office work, and is certainly fast enough for streaming. You will need a mi-fi unit (mobile wi-fi) to produce a wi-fi signal in the caravan, and if you get a suitable Huawei unit you can plug an external aerial into it - but it still may not work unless you have a decent cellular signal, so start with the OfCom pages.

Reactions: Chadders
May 29, 2021
Visit site
Sorry, but to a degree your mail does not make sense.
Are you saying that your wife wants to use the caravan as an office at home, or are you saying that your wife's employer will allow her to work from home and you want the option to allow her to work in the caravan when you are away so that her employer thinks she is at home - and don't think for a minute that I am implying that she is 'on the fiddle' which I am most definitely not. I guess the latter given the reference to streaming in the evening.
If it is the latter then you need to have a look on the OfCom pages for the signal coverage maps of the four SPs. In many places Vodafone and O2 share distribution hence if you can't get one you won't get the other: the same applies to 3 and BT/EE. I don't understand your comment about 'only 4G.' 4G is more than fast enough for almost any form of office work, and is certainly fast enough for streaming. You will need a mi-fi unit (mobile wi-fi) to produce a wi-fi signal in the caravan, and if you get a suitable Huawei unit you can plug an external aerial into it - but it still may not work unless you have a decent cellular signal, so start with the OfCom pages.
We’re going to be living in the caravan and my wife is continuing to work from home (in this case the caravan) until December when she retires so the need for a suitable signal is required for both business and pleasure. I’ve checked the ofcom pages for the postcode where the caravan is based hence knowing that a decent 4G (as apose to 5G) is only available with O2 and Vodafone EE is poor so is 3 etc
What Huawei unit are you referring to? Do you have a link? We currently have a humax box if that’s the same thing I can fix an external aerial up on a pole no problem.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
The only sensible choice for 4g is a Huawei B818-263 with a SIM to suit the location.
Available from various suppliers second hand for about £100, however any that are badged Vodafone will be locked to Vodafone and can't be used in other networks.
I sold my Huawei when I updated to 5g and I now regret it despite getting a good price.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I just use my phone as a mobile hot spot then connect laptop, tablet, TV through it. Are there advantages in having a separate mi-fi unit / dongle?

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
A phone does a LOT of different things, whereas a mi-fi just gets an incoming signal and re-radiates it on a wi-fi channel. Ergo the mi-fi is much simpler - plus of course you don't loose service when you have to use the phone!

The Huawei E5576 has TS9 antenna connectors on it.

Have a look what CEx have lying around - uk.webuy.com - and you get a 2yr guarantee!

May 29, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the advice suggestions we want to keep our mobile phones separate from something we will use for laptops and tv. We both have phones contracts with data included and want something initially on a monthly rolling contract with unlimited data so if the service or signal is an issue we’re not tied into a lengthy contract for something that isn’t up to scratch

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
You can get 1 month Sims from the likes of Smarty who use 3, 1p mobile who use EE and GiffGaff who use O2 to test the networks before committing to a longer period. Not sure of one for Vodafone.
I use a company called Scancom who sells over Amazon and they provide Sims on the four networks way cheaper than the big companies. The only downside is it's pay up front but then I've got unlimited on 3 for £7 a month until December 25.

May 29, 2021
Visit site
You can get 1 month Sims from the likes of Smarty who use 3, 1p mobile who use EE and GiffGaff who use O2 to test the networks before committing to a longer period. Not sure of one for Vodafone.
I use a company called Scancom who sells over Amazon and they provide Sims on the four networks way cheaper than the big companies. The only downside is it's pay up front but then I've got unlimited on 3 for £7 a month until December 25.
Thanks I’ve taken a look and saved a couple of sims in my Amazon wish list. There seems to be a big price difference in what’s available from £100 ish for the Huawei to £300+ for an Axtex
Perhaps I’m being thick but am I right in thinking the Huawei is a data booster or device that supplies a data signal to a device and the Axtex AMR turns a data signal into WiFi🤷🏼‍♂️

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the advice suggestions we want to keep our mobile phones separate from something we will use for laptops and tv. We both have phones contracts with data included and want something initially on a monthly rolling contract with unlimited data so if the service or signal is an issue we’re not tied into a lengthy contract for something that isn’t up to scratch
We are with Three on a rolling monthly contract with Unlimited data. Also have a look here. https://www.govivo.co.uk/ £18.99 a month for unlimited data and no long contract.

May 29, 2021
Visit site
GiffGaff is still the best, not least because you can change the services and the consequent costs yourself as and when you like.
Thanks according to Ofcom our only choice is O2 or Vodafone with a limited signal although there own websites say 4G is good or likely?! I looked into giffgaff their website says it’s good signal so it’ll be a case of trial and error.
I watched a really good YouTube video on installing the avtex system and the person doing the video recommended using a different SP than you have for your mobile phone which I thought was interesting

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks according to Ofcom our only choice is O2 or Vodafone with a limited signal although there own websites say 4G is good or likely?! I looked into giffgaff their website says it’s good signal so it’ll be a case of trial and error.
I watched a really good YouTube video on installing the avtex system and the person doing the video recommended using a different SP than you have for your mobile phone which I thought was interesting
Govivo uses the O2 network so may work for you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are in a poor signal area, then the only way you will know if a system is any good is to get one on th e network and try it. That may limit your choices on costs.

May 29, 2021
Visit site
If you are in a poor signal area, then the only way you will know if a system is any good is to get one on th e network and try it. That may limit your choices on costs.
I think that’s the way to go as said Ofcom checker says only O2 & Vodafone have coverage and then that’s not great but other people on the site have inet so I’ll talk to them as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts