Inflation Kit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm due to change my current car ( Volvo V70 ) in February but see that Volvo have now replaced the spare wheel with an inflation kit. Although a spare is still available as a no cost option the potential for bringing back even more wine in the summer is very appealing.

Has anyone had any practical experience of these kits?

Travelling solo wouldn't worry me but towing through France and Spain would. Whenever I've had a puncture on a major road in the past ( although very infrequently ) by the time I've been able to safely pull in the tyre has not been in safe enough state to re-inflate.

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Jim

I have just taken on an 'old V70' a demonstrator and was worried re the space saver spare. Ebay had a 17 inch rim for a V70 and a new tyre total cost under

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim I would not consider driving anywhere with any car or caravan that did not have a full size spare wheel. We had a rear wheel puncture when staying at Lake Windermere. The tyre on our Landcruiser was cut by a roadside stone - no way could the tyre be inflated [replacement

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Jim

I would not travel anywhere without a full size spare wheel for car and caravan. We had a car puncture when we were staying at Lake Wndermere. A roadside stone cut a rear tyre on our Landcruiser. No way could it have been inflated [

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gents

Thankyou for your comments but you are missing the point.

I have got my own views on spacesaver tyres and when and where to use one.

My original question was - Has anyone had any practical experience of inflation kits?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim,

Brenda's last car was a BMW Mini - with a tyre pressure warning system and an inflation kit. But in four years she never had to use it. Sorry - no feedback

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry not practical experience, but I too am very wary about inflation kits - even a space saver spare has to be better.

Unfortunately, many new cars come with either inflation kits ( current towcar of the year included) or on runflats - reckoned to be good for 150 miles - BMWs for example.

The thought of the long haul across central Spain on a January Sunday dows not appeal with either of these "solutions". Buying a full size spare is an option, but where to put it ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts