Info Req On Cycle Carriers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking to buy a cycle carrier that attaches between the caravan and the car's tow hitch area - 3 adult cycles easy fit and safe- Is there such a component?

Unfortunately I can't use the car's roof as always use a top-box during trips and, as it is a brand new caravan did't really want to put them inside for fear of damage - but will this be the only choice?

I believe that that the suggestion might affect the towball weight ratios etc - but I am sure that I have seen cycle carriers fitted in this area Or is this an incorrect/unsafe way to carry cycles?

We have the Sorento 4x4 and the Bailey-Pageant-Provence Caravan.

Any suggestions as to how best I could overcome the problem and your experience and assessment of any type of carriers used etc, would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tow ball carriers are a good way to carry bikes but you will have to take account of the weight and deduct it from the nose weight for your 'van,i.e. noseweight 75kg less weight of bikes and carrier at,say, 25kg means that the noseweight of your 'van must not exceed 50kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Peter, John's reply is quite correct, so beware because three cycles could well reduce the remaianing tow hith load to an impossible low figure. The other thing that many enthusiasts seem to forget. is that cycles on these racks obscure the rear numberplates and light clusters which to legal must be must be unobstructed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you choose a tow ball one, try pendle bike racks - we have one and they are very good. Beware of the jockey wheel entangling on the wheel though. We also have a rear bike caravan bike carrier which work really well

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are such things. We have a towball carrier called a Tri-Raxx (carries 3 bikes) and there is also a Maxx-Raxx which I think can carry 4. To date, we have only used ours in conjunction with a trailer and not with our caravan, although I believe this should be possible provided there is enough clearance. We bought ours online from Autow. Some towball carriers clearly state that they can be used whilst towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter, WITTER have a nice cycle carrier for up to 3 bikes and they are suitable for your Sorento. As John has already pointed out your nose weight will obviously be effected but I expect that you can work around that issue. The WITTER unit is very easy to operate but you will not be able to open the back door when in use. Regards Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the advice John. Can I just ask..the nose weight for our Sorrento is about 110Kg. If as you suggest, I fitted the cycle carrier on the T/bar etc, and as long as I move any equipment within the caravan slightly more towards the rear, rather than at the centre, to maintain the n/weight below that figure , that will be Ok , is that correct..Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would have thought that the obvious answer would be to put the contents of the roof box in the caravan - these boxes ar not too big and therefore carry lightweight contents such as clothes, food, etc. Kick the roof box into touch and put your cycles on the roof of the 4x4. Should you need to carry items when you sre at the camp site the boot of your vehicle will probably accept more than a roof box and you will not have the extra drag on fuel consumption and possibly be able to park in multi storey car parks. This would also eleviate any possible damage to your new caravan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
John's response is correct in principle but I strongly suspect that 3 adult cycles and the carrier weigh a lot more than 25kg. That may leave you with a dangerously low available noseweight for the caravan. Remember, 25kg is the legal minimum noseweight of the trailer/caravan but really that is much too low to ensure adequate stability. If you have a roof box as well you may also find that you are exceeding the car's GVW or its maximum permitted rear axle load.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE... for their informed comments and suggestions etc. Clearly raises a number of issues to consider and perhaps a re-think along the lines of Colin's suggestion may be in order. I will research a little more, however, regarding the cariers suggested and then make an informed decision - something I could not have reached without the benefit of all of your comments. Once again sincere thanks ..your time and thoughts were very much appreciated. Regards.....PETE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts