Innsbruck-Stuttgart

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi has anyone done the Innsbruck to Stuttgart route via the B179 and Lermooser tunnel,from what Michelin are saying sounds a hairy route for caravans what with steep down hills and series of bends.Advice from anyone would be appreciated as if it not feasible will look for alternate route..thks

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I haven't been that route myself but I have read reports in German caravan forums from people that have used it. The consensus is that the Fernpass is quite negiotiable even for larger caravans but to be recommended only for the experienced caravanner and the not so queasy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Taffy

I assume what you are referring to is what is also known as the Fern Pass route? If so I have done it both ways towing a caravan. From Innsbruck head west on the Inntel Motorway and exit at junction 113 and head north via Motz at the roundabout take road to Nassereith and follow signs to the Fern Pass. Its not a fast road but if you have a reasonable power to weight ration it should not cause any problems. Came that way last year on the way back from Italy.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Taffy

We have done this route many times and with different outfits. The Fern Pass has lots of bends and can be slow and very busy especially on Fridays and Saturdays but it is not a difficult pass. This is a very picturesque route but is is not a fast one. I now prefer to turn EAST at Innsbruck and cross into Germany near Rosenheim. The motorway around Munich is quick and easy and then you rejoin the other route neat Ulm. Also there are several good camps just off the Motorway at junction 73 near Augsburg. Being a motorway route there are no long or steep climbs and we have not encountered any major hold ups (so far). If you are worried about any passes then this route is very easy.

Hope this is of use to you.

Happy travels BarryB

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Taffy

We have done this route many times and with different outfits. The Fern Pass has lots of bends and can be slow and very busy especially on Fridays and Saturdays but it is not a difficult pass. This is a very picturesque route but is is not a fast one. I now prefer to turn EAST at Innsbruck and cross into Germany near Rosenheim. The motorway around Munich is quick and easy and then you rejoin the other route neat Ulm. Also there are several good camps just off the Motorway at junction 73 near Augsburg. Being a motorway route there are no long or steep climbs and we have not encountered any major hold ups (so far). If you are worried about any passes then this route is very easy.

Hope this is of use to you.

Happy travels BarryB
Thanks for your views Lutz,David and Barry,it seems a more direct route but my instinct is to go east at Innsbruck as Barry said but can't find a suitable campsite around Rosenheim close to a village coming up from Moninga del gatda and Michelin says just over four hours so it nearing my daily limit with stop of five hours any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hello Taffy,

We did the 'Fernpass' route in 2008, going from Innsbruck to Rudesheim and found no problems with this route at all. We were towing a large twin axle, and honestly encounted no problems.

Hope you get on ok. Happy holidays!

Jonah.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Taffy

We did use this site once...it was busy and a little muddy but OK for the night. www.tenda-camping.de

We regularly use this one..www.lech-camping.de it is very clean with nice restaurant for an evening meal and about 2 miles off junction 73. I would think it will be about an hour on from Rosenheim. We are staying at San Felice del Benaco about 15 mins up the road from Moniga and fully expect to arrive at camping Lech by about 4pm with a starting time of about 8.30am.

Also is this link any use to you for campsites en route? http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/snelweg.htm

Both the site I mention are on it.

BarryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts