insignia legal towing weight

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, I have a vauxhall insignia 20cdti 130 sports tourer and I've been looking at a bailey senator wyoming / carolina 6 berth twin axle caravan. I have a family 2 young kids and was wondering if it's possible to tow this style of van legally once loaded or if anyone can recommend a van which sleeps 4 comfortably. I'm not to bothered about having bunks but would need some kind of side dinette and a decent shower as the youngest is only 15 months that's why I'm thinking a 6 berth would better suit my needs. and it wouldn't be a new van as we're on a tight budget. Thanks for any advice

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Every model and engine variant has its own specified max braked towing weight. What are the weights stated on the car's weights plate, located on the door pillar and/or in the engine bay? What is stated on the car's V5 certificate? What is the MTPLM of the Bailey?

With these figures then we can advise.

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
This is the problem I'm having. It states on the plate on the car that it can tow 1800 kg yet the v5 states it is plated upto 1600 kg, also the bailey senator vans have different mtplm weights some state 1575 others state 1745 so unsure about this.hHow do you find out the correct weight of an van? I've seen my type of car towing large twin axle vans and they looked ok pulling it.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Where does it state on the plate that your car can tow 1800kg? Please specify, as the plate does not explicitly give towing weight. You have to take the difference of the first 2 numbers out of the 4 on the plate. Hence the original request to quote the values given on the plate.

The MTPLM of any van model varies year by year hence you have to know the weight for a given year.

Just because a car 'looked OK' towing a van does NOT mean it was towing legally. An insurance claim will certainly become null and void if the combination was not within its legal requirements.

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah you're right me an a mechanic checked the plate and added it up to 1800 kg, 750kg unbraked, yet the v5 states it is plated upto 1600 kg , this is why I'm asking for advice as it's confusing when 1 states 1 weight and another one says different. going on the v5 at 1600kg what would be a legal weight to tow?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brooksc
The latest information you have given show the GTW to be 3945 and the GVW to be 2285 which leaves a towed weight limit of1660kg Not 1800 that you quoted

The picture is not as clear as you would like it to be.

But there is yet another consideration, and that is that caravans are "difficult" trailers, because of their sheer size. As a result they can impart greater feedback to the tow vehicle car and can unsettle it. Consequently the industry recommends that you always go the lightest trailer to meet your needs For novice caravanners they suggest the caravans MTPLM should not exceed 85% of the tow vehicle's unladen weight and on raising that towards the 100% when there is competence and confidence in towing (obviously observing the technical and legal limits for the vehicle)

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
So what would be the limit of the van I could tow? Could I still get a twin axle caravan or would it be better to buy a single axle caravan? Thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts