Insignia Tourer Biturbo

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I'm considering buying a 2014 Vauxhall Insignia Biturbo (192hp) Sri Vxline as my next car. I have noticed it has an electronic handbrake and was wondering whether this should be a concern when towing. Also I would be grateful if any forum members could share their experiences / views of this car as a suitable towcar. Looking to the future we would probably be towing around 85% kerbweight as we will be changing our current van shortly.

Many Thanks

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a 2015 Insignia with electronic handbrake and it gave me a couple of scares to start with on hill starts, before I even towed. :( There were no instructions on how to use the handbrake other than engaging it, and it automatically releases itself when the clutch is depressed and your foot touches the accelerator. I found you need to hold the switch up manually until the clutch bites and then let it go or even push it down. I've only towed the van about 10 miles each way at the moment on flat ground so haven't tried a hill start with van attached. As I'm now more confident with solo hill starts then it should be OK with the van.

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Cameo and welcome to the Practical Caravan forum.

We had a Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer with that engine as a long-term test car last year, so if you want to read what we thought of it, please click here. They're great value as used buys. And our Tow Car Editor David Motton is a big fan of electronic handbrakes when towing, so we'd not worry about that.

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I toured down to Spain and back in 2015 plus 8 UK trips with my 2013 Insignia saloon towing 88% Swift.
I agree with previous post advising the need to manually hold up the switch to prevent it releasing too soon. The first few hill starts are quite scary because as soon as the clutch bites, the hand-break releases and everything rolls backwards resulting in panic foot break and resetting everything again. Now I have mastered take off it is a dream to use. One thing that is bothering me though is clutch smell as if you let it up too quickly it stalls. Slowly does it but only after clutch slip and smell - slopes only. My biggest dread is having to stop half way up a slope in the wet. The revs needed cause wheel spin. I avoid this situation at all costs but this would be the same case with a manual hand brake. Hope this helps.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello cameo,
Our car has an electronic handbrake and it's no problem at all both in solo and towing driving.It's not a Vauxhall so maybe the brakes are operated differently depending on the make of car.
We have no run back problems on hill starts and the brake operates efficiently when operated.
On our car the brake can be operated manually and automatically.
Push the operator to manually put the brake on and pull to manually release the brake,the brake will also automatically release when the accelerator is operated (assisted hill start).

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My daughter had an Astra with the electronic brake and it worked perfectly well once you got used to it but I still prefer the feel of the pull on handbrake for all its faults. It does mean that it is on fully every time you use it t so in theory should be the best system. My advice would be to take a test drive and stop and start several times to see how you get on with it before you make a decision.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
We have a Zafira Tourer with the electronic handbrake and it is easy to use once you get used to using it even when we are pulling. Try it on the flat until you get used to how to use it properly.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been driving Passat estates with electronic parking brakes since 2007 (on my third). They take about 30 seconds to get used to and because they disengage automatically when you drive away normally I've never had a problem with hill starts etc whether towing or solo. I haven't driven a Vauxhall with this feature but can't imagine it would be that different.

Do you really need the Biturbo though? I've never found the 140/150bhp diesel to be short on power and you'll save on fuel and road tax.

TRENDING THREADS