Insignia towing capacity

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to caravanning, well will be when I've bought one!!
I have a Vauxhall Insignia, 09 plate SE 2.0L model and was wondering what size caravan I could tow with it?
I have seen an Abbey Spectrum 520 5 berth, which is about 1450kg and wondered whether this was considered too big or unsafe.
If so, what would the maximum weight be that is considered safe?
Thank you in advance.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Look at the weight plate on the door pillar of your car, it should give 4 figures and the difference between the first two is the max trailer weight. This figure should also appear on your V5c vehicle registration document. The V5c will also give you 'mass in service' which approximates to 'kerb weight'. For a new tower it is also recommended that the max trailer weight is no more than 85% of kerb weight.

My 2015 Insignia is 1613 kg mass in service, 85% of which is 1371 kg, although max trailer weight is 1800 kg.

The Abbey you quote would be higher than recommended for my Insignia.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the weight of your car is similar to Woodland Campers the Abbey is about as heavy as an inexperienced driver could manage I think. The 85% figure is a recommendation but is a good starting point and personally I would look for something a little bit lighter until you have a few years towing under your belt.
The Insignia is a good towcar however and provided the manufacturers towing limit is nor exceeded should cope.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
The max trailer weight for a car is calculated from the car's ability to pull away with a trailer attached on a specified gradient. The size/shape of trailers varies enormously from high sided/boxy shapes like caravans (which can easily be blown over) to low down trailers like a flatbed loaded with sand (which are likely to be very stable). The recommended weights for caravans take this into account. Sometimes the max trailer weight allowed for a car is LESS than 85% of the car's kerb weight!

The Insignia/caravan combination is likely to be less than 3.5 tonnes, so you won't need a B+E driving licence.

PS - perhaps the Mods could move this thread to the 'Towcar' section where more people would read it.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Raywood said:
The Insignia is a good towcar ......

As it's the 'off' season I haven't actually towed with the new Insignia yet. :( It's first duty will be to take the van to the workshop to have the panel cracks sorted out. The work has been authorized by the manufacturer but still awaiting for the parts to arrive, hopefully before the new season starts.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Before I retired I did have lots of Vauxhalls as company cars and they were all excellent tow cars although the reliability of the later ones was not as good as the earlier ones. We probably would still have one but when we went to replace the last one which I kept after retiring the salesman was just not interested and we then looked elsewhere.
I do feel the 85% figure is a good starting point for beginners but have to say the standard of cars and caravans when it comes to towing has improved enough for me to believe that provided you are aware you are a novice when you first set out going over it would be in order but you should not take liberties on the weight issue.
I agree the towing limit of the car has no bearing on safe towing as it is the clutch that is the deciding factor in setting it. I have said that towing a broken down car around town is completely different to towing a slab sided caravan down a motorway at 60. Exceeding the cars weight is dangerous in my opinion and I would not advocate anyone going over 95% but cars are getting lighter and we may just have to review the advice given, particularly as I believe the modern car and caravan are better than they once were.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Look at the weight plate on the door pillar of your car, it should give 4 figures and the difference between the first two is the max trailer weight. This figure should also appear on your V5c vehicle registration document. The V5c will also give you 'mass in service' which approximates to 'kerb weight'. For a new tower it is also recommended that the max trailer weight is no more than 85% of kerb weight.

My 2015 Insignia is 1613 kg mass in service, 85% of which is 1371 kg, although max trailer weight is 1800 kg.

yet near as dam it, it would be fine for my 2011 insignia... mass in service is 1704kg.... [1448kg equals 85%] although max trailer weight for mine is only 1600kg/

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
JonnyG said:
WoodlandsCamper said:

yet near as dam it, it would be fine for my 2011 insignia... mass in service is 1704kg.... [1448kg equals 85%] although max trailer weight for mine is only 1600kg/
My 2010 auto has a mass in service of 1655 (1406 85%)and the same limit, 1600. there are so many different permutations, make sure you check your V5. Take care, if you have a few years driving behind you will be OK.

BTW MY Match is 77% It's an Auto, tows like a dream.

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It’s a funny old thing towing a caravan it must be said. I have an 53 Nissan Terrano with a 2.7 L turbo diesel engine that I use to tow our adria ( around the 1450kg mark). That is a heavy car. Yes the car manages to pull the van forward and stops it easily enough but as has been mentioned it’s a completely different thing doing 60mph down the motorway when an artic or high sided van decides to overtake you, I am thankful for the heavier car then. I am new to caravanning, a novice if you will although I have been driving without incident for nearly thirty years including towing low sided trailers. When I decided to buy the Nissan the bloke who fitted the towing electrics commented that I’d hardly notice the van on the back, complete nonsense. As I said I am glad of the heavy car with which to bully the caravan into submission, I think that I would have struggled with a lighter tug especially something approaching parity kerb weight.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I must admit, when I change my Vectra 3.0 cdti, 1790 kg for my first Sante fe, I was disappointed, with the power, but having changed to the the new Sante Fe with higher torgue and heavier Santa fe, I have found it much more stable.I stupidly passed an Artic one day and got into a very nasty tail wag, until the Trailer ATC kicked in,
I Now will only pass an Artic if I can give it a very wide berth, and if its going slow.
Hutch.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts