Insurance for long stays

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Why is insurance cover, even when taking annual policies, only provides cover for journeys "not exceeding ..... days"? Like many who have retired we go to France and Spain for several months at a time, but cover for long stays (3-4 months) is like gold dust. Like most of those contributing posts on this subject I seem to be over insured except when it comes to long stays. Thank goodness SAGA car insurance allows unlimited periods, maybe I should see what their policy is regarding long stays for everything else!

G

Not quite sure what particular insurance over you are discussing. If it is vehicle/caravan insurance then a number of Companies give either 240 days or even 365 days EU cover. If it is breakdown cover then both Clubs will give 12 month policies, although they are not cheap. These offer multi trip stays. If it is a single trip you wish that is longer than the normal 91 days, then they will offer these although you may have to telephone them to get your requirements agreed. I believe the maximum single trip is 240 days which should cover your requirements.

Give them a call and see what they can do. Alternatively look at some of the adverts in the caravan/motorhome Press and ascertain if they can offer a better deal.

Lutz has mentioned that ADAC will also gve cover at competitive prices.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We too take long trips. Our next one will be 120 days. we have car insurance with LV (180 days), caravan insured with the CC, and will probably take the CC Red Pennant insurance to cover various eventualities. As said, not cheap, but good.

House is covered as our daughter stays every so often, also visits to water plants and take in mail.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
We too take long trips. Our next one will be 120 days. we have car insurance with LV (180 days), caravan insured with the CC, and will probably take the CC Red Pennant insurance to cover various eventualities. As said, not cheap, but good.

House is covered as our daughter stays every so often, also visits to water plants and take in mail.
.....LV also do breakdown and recovery insurance for car and caravan.

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
We have caravan cover with Towergate, breakdown with ADAC and car insurance with SAGA all of which give us unlimited fully comp European cover. Not too bothered with repatriation as retired so could push it home! Not put any insurance to the test yet thankfully.

G

While I agree with Carolyn's commeht about being retired and therefore not subject to a schedule, one has to consider that the main driver may become incapacitated, and if flown home it is likely the spouse will acompany, therefore the vehicle needs to be repatriated somehow.

Hopefully, this is something that will never happen, but.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts